• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the weekend:

Lucky Thompson - Lucky Thompson Featuring Oscar Pettiford - ABC

Jimmy Cleveland listed as "Jim Whatsmyname" on trombone

Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor - Prestige/Alto reissue

Buddy DeFranco - Complete Verve 4tet/5tet w/ Sonny Clark - Mosaic, Record 3 originally In A Mellow Mood

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring - Warner Brothers

Clarinet Summit - Southern Bells - Black Saint

Edited by charlesp

Clark Terry - Duke with a Difference

Sweet!

Never heard this. Can you give some details?

CLARK TERRY

Duke with a Difference

OJCCD-229-2 (Riverside 1108) ~ $11.98

(CASS ~ OJC-229-4 ~ $7.98) (LP ~ OJC-229 ~ $9.98)

Clark Terry's series of late-Fifties Riverside albums covered a very wide range (on one he shared honors with a tuba player; another featured Thelonious Monk), but Duke with a Difference may have been the most unusual. On this occasion he gathered together a number of major artists--notably including Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, and Billy Strayhorn--who had been his colleagues for years in the Ellington orchestra, and enabled them to fulfill a mutual fantasy by performing a repertoire of some of the Duke's distinguished standards (among them "Mood Indigo," "Take the 'A' Train," and "C Jam Blues") in a deliberately non-Ellington vein.

C-Jam Blues, In a Sentimental Mood, Cotton Tail, Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me), Mood Indigo, Take the "A" Train, In a Mellow Tone, Come Sunday

with Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson, Billy Strayhorn, Tyree Glenn, Jimmy Woode, Sam Woodyard

Thanks!

Pulled out a nice ARS(vinyl) set I put together a few years ago. Cherry picked a guys collection for nice and unplayed titles. Went through about 25 and kept 6 that had decent vinyl. RVG did stellar job mastering, but the vinyl can be noisy.

Roy Eldridge and Benny Carter: The Urbane Jazz of ARS 413

Mulligan Quartet and Wilson Trio at Newport ARS 434

The Flying Fingers of Art Tatum and Buddy De Franco ARS 412

Basie...Swingin' at Newport ARS 435

A Blue Note afternoon:

Joe Henderson- "Mode for Joe" - Henderson, Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter, Joe Chambers- what a lineup. "Carribean Fire Dance" is scorching. A terrific album.

Wayne Shorter - "Speak No Evil"

Grachan Moncur III- "Evolution" -Another terrific lineup, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, , Bob Cranshaw, Tony Williams.

Tonight has been:

A new Gerry Mulligan LP on Crown Records (CLP 5411) I picked up today that has no info on it except the sidemen: Chet Baker, Chico Hamilton, Buddy Collette and Gerald Wiggins.

Benny Carter The King Pablo, 1976 with Milt Jackson, Joe Pass and Tommy Flanagan. Nice stuff

Barney Kessel: The Poll Winners Contemporary, 1957. With Shelly Manne and Ray Brown. These old Contemporaries really do sound fantastic. I think it waas Wolff who first pointed this out, and man are you right.

Stephane Grappelli/Joe Pass/NHOP Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen Pablo, 1979 THis one starts out with a swinging version of "It's Only a Paper Moon"

Shelly Manne: My Fair Lady (Contemporary)

Previn/Freeman: Double Play (Contemporary) Yummmmmmy cover!!

Jimmy Smith: Home Cookin' (BN) mono

Ellington: Anatomy Of A Murder (Mobile Fidelity)Some stuff I really and some I wish had a remote with a skip track button for my turntable.

Ellington/Hodges: Back to Back (Classic Records re-issue)

Shelly Manne: My Fair Lady (Contemporary)

Previn/Freeman: Double Play (Contemporary) Yummmmmmy cover!!

Jimmy Smith: Home Cookin' (BN) mono

Ellington: Anatomy Of A Murder (Mobile Fidelity)Some stuff I really and some I wish had a remote with a skip track button for my turntable.

Ellington/Hodges: Back to Back (Classic Records re-issue)

I really like those Manne/Previns, and the Double Play cover is great.

Gerry Mulligan - 'The Concert Jazz Band' (Verve MG V-8388)

Picked up today for $5!

That qualifies as a "Good Find"

Yeah, I thought so, too. It was the only "good find" of the day, but one is certainly better than none. The vinyl is in excellent shape and doesn't sound half bad, either. The sleeve, however, is horrid...multiple stains, seam split completely at the top. This doesn't matter so much to me as long as the record sounds good, but it does make me wonder: How can a record survive in such great shape while the sleeve looks as though it has survived a series of natural disasters?! If the job of the sleeve is to protect the record within, well...this one certainly did its job!