• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

McCoy Tyner- "Time for Tyner"- with Bobby Hutcherson- Blue Note, later UA pressing. I love Hutcherson. He is almost as prominent on this LP as Tyner.

I really like this one too, and ditto on Hutcherson. As a wee Jazz Tot, when I heard the word "vibes" I thought only of Milt Jackson (with apologies to Lionel Hampton). But discovering Hutcherson was great because he makes that instrument sound completely different.

I got out my two Wilber De Paris LPs tonight. I don't think Atlantic has issued them ever on CD, although I may be wrong. Shame. Probably rotting away somewhere in their vaults.

Wilber De Paris at Symphony Hall with an interesting addition of Wilbert Kirk on harmonica, which really works in this dixieland context.

also Marchin' and Swingin'

Last night I enjoyed Duke Ellington & John Coltrane ... Impulse red/black-label late-'60s "Bell Sound" pressing (not a Van Gelder, unfortunately ... sounded quite lovely, though).

Those Impulse Red/Black labels of the late 60s sound pretty nice ! I have a couple of Pharoah Sanders on that imprint..

Vic Lewis All Stars [big Band Explosion]. The title is the usual hyperbole. Just got it from eBay. Made at the 1959 Beaulieu Jazz Festival. Big names in British jazz at the time, including Ronnie Ross. Wish they had found more solo space for him though. Has Allan Ganley, Jimmy Deuchar, Keith Christie, Art Ellefson, Vic Ash and more.

Last night I enjoyed Duke Ellington & John Coltrane ... Impulse red/black-label late-'60s "Bell Sound" pressing (not a Van Gelder, unfortunately ... sounded quite lovely, though).

Those Impulse Red/Black labels of the late 60s sound pretty nice ! I have a couple of Pharoah Sanders on that imprint..

They do sound very good, and you can get them for less money than the black/orange originals. I have a handful of Coltrane LPs on the black/red Impulse! label. A few have the Van Gelder deadwax imprint (my John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman and A Love Supreme), and a few don't (the Ellington/Coltrane one, and Coltrane). But they all sound really sweet in that trademarked analog way. The Love Supreme, in particular, which is close to NM condition, is one of my most prized jazz LPs. I think I'll play that one tonight!

Edited by j_par