• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The J.J. Johnson Quintet 'Dial J.J. 5' (Columbia)

the great JJ Quintet with Bobby Jaspar, Tommy Flanagan, Wilbur Little and Elvin Jones!

These Columbia J.Js are superb. Thank god for Mosaic, because they have sat in Columbia's vault forever just collecting dust.

Blue Mitchell: Down With It! Sweeeeet sounding Liberty

Jackie McLean: Right Now! For you collector nerds, I'm fairly certain, this may have NY label, but was held back and first pressed during Liberty era, so you will look in vein for the 'ear'. Beautiful LP. This music always 'sends me' far away.

Anthony Williams: Spring Great Lp and it happens to be FOR SALE. :lol:

Lazy tonight so I'm just going down the line of my BN's.

Edited by wolff

Italian LP (No 82) of Lucky Thompson's last session, sadly it omits one track Elijah ?

I have that Italian LP - they had that other Groove Merchant LP as well. The missing track "Aliyah" is included on the Beast Retro 12052 CD reissue (I Offer You). This CD sounds excellent - I bought it a few weeks ago from CD Connection for $ 9.39.

Lucky's last session are very nice - I still have to get the three live cuts.

Edited by mikeweil

Lee Morgan- "Candy"- King pressing. 20 year old Lee Morgan as lone horn, with Sonny Clark on piano. A gorgeous rendition of "Since I Fell For You."

Duke Pearson- "The Right Touch"- Liberty pressing- a horn heavy lineup- Freddie Hubbard (tp), Garnett Brown (tb- hey does anyone know more about Garnett?), James Spaulding on alto, Jerry Dodgion on alto and flute, and Stanley Turrentine on tenor. Pearson is an ever-inventive arranger.

Clark Terry - Duke with a Difference

Sweet!

Never heard this. Can you give some details?

CLARK TERRY

Duke with a Difference

OJCCD-229-2 (Riverside 1108) ~ $11.98

(CASS ~ OJC-229-4 ~ $7.98) (LP ~ OJC-229 ~ $9.98)

Clark Terry's series of late-Fifties Riverside albums covered a very wide range (on one he shared honors with a tuba player; another featured Thelonious Monk), but Duke with a Difference may have been the most unusual. On this occasion he gathered together a number of major artists--notably including Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, and Billy Strayhorn--who had been his colleagues for years in the Ellington orchestra, and enabled them to fulfill a mutual fantasy by performing a repertoire of some of the Duke's distinguished standards (among them "Mood Indigo," "Take the 'A' Train," and "C Jam Blues") in a deliberately non-Ellington vein.

C-Jam Blues, In a Sentimental Mood, Cotton Tail, Just Squeeze Me (But Don't Tease Me), Mood Indigo, Take the "A" Train, In a Mellow Tone, Come Sunday

with Johnny Hodges, Paul Gonsalves, Britt Woodman, Quentin Jackson, Billy Strayhorn, Tyree Glenn, Jimmy Woode, Sam Woodyard

Errol Garner -Soliloquy ( 6 eye -if that's important)

- it's a 1957 solo session with 6 great tracks, I'm not at all familiar with Garner but this album strikes me as very strong, not sure if it's been out on CD. He sounds more modern and less gushingly romantic here than I expected.

Liners state that 16 tracks were recorded at the session in Feb 1957, so i guess some must have been available on other LPs.

The Great Jazz Trio is Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.

I played this the other night. I have the direct to disc(EW 10005). It's one of the few audiphile records from the seventies I've kept. I think it's pretty lame musically(IMO), but if you never got to hear Tony Williams live and close-up this is the ticket. I have 2 others in the DtoD EW series and while the sound is amazing the music does not do much for me.