Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

street singer,

John Jenkins is a nice "blowing session" more bebop than hard bop or soul even though it features Kenny Burrell and Sonny Clark, Paul Chambers and Dannie Richmond(!) - one ballad and 5 bop tunes - Jenkins has a bright alto sound, not as smooth as Criss or Stitt. I prefer Jenkins*Jordan*Timmons on New Jazz/OJC, but that is probably because I am big Clifford Jordan fan.

Shirley Scott- For members only- Impulse (Mono, original issue).

Took a chance on this, not really wowed by this kind of thing but it's a nice set with trio one side and Oliver Nelson's orchestrations on the other. Great sound too. A snip at £2. Great find or no !!!!

Edited by Clunky

Booker Ervin 'The Blues Book' (Prestige, monaural) with Carmell Jones, Gildo Mahones, Richard Davis and Alan Dawson.

One from the superb series of Book albums that came out in succession in the mid sixties from Prestige. Will Concord/Fantasy release a series similar to the Mosaic Selects? A Booker Ervin set would be a perfect choice to start this!

Ray Bryant - Alone with the blues- Esquire 32-106 ( solos from Dec19th 1958), no idea what label these orginate from, fine playing even if there is a fair bit of crackle

Ray Bryant's 'Alone With The Blues' came out originally on New Jazz, then on Prestige.

Yusef Lateef- "Cry! Tenderly"- New Jazz/Prestige, Bergenfield pressing, RVG was the recording engineer, but I didn't find the sonics particularly impressive. Lateef, working with a group of his Detroit buddies, spends most of the album apparently attempting to show that the OBOE is a jazz instrument (and almost pulls it off). Once again the liner notes talk about Lateef's "Asian" and "eastern sound- which in my view was mostly superficial, but it got Lateef quite a bit of hype. This record demonstrates lateef's virtues and vices, pretty much intertwined. For example, he was a wonderful tenor when he wanted to be, but could while away the time playing oboe. OTOH, it IS kind of cool to see what an oboe could do in a jazz context.

McCoy Tyner- "Time for Tyner"- with Bobby Hutcherson- Blue Note, later UA pressing. I love Hutcherson. He is almost as prominent on this LP as Tyner.

Weather Report- "8:30" - Columbia - live performance. I'm still trying to like Weather Report. Maybe it's Zawinul's Wagnerian approach to jazz that puts me off. Don't know, will keep listening until I do.

Walter Davis Jr- "Davis Cup"- classic Blue Note hard bop. An upbeat way to round out some listening.

Aretha Franklin: Spirit In The Dark (Atlantic/ 4 Men With Beards)

4 Men With Beards really do a nice job on the re-issues I think.

Tonight has been really mixed. One of those nights I can't make up my mind what to listen to:

Stanley Turrentine The Spoiler Just picked this up on E-Bay for $10.50. Blue and White Liberty pressing with Van Gelder in the dead wax. Classic example of a Blue Note LP that "looks rough, but sounds good."

A few sides from an old Columbia LP box of Billie Holiday called The Golden Years Some great ones with Teddy Wilson on here.

Warne marsh All Music

Dewey Redman Coincide