Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jack Bruce 'Things We Like' (Polydor)

Bangers, mash, and Dick Heckstall-Smith!

Have you read the Dick Heckstall-Smith autobiography, Blowing the Blues? It's a pretty good read, plus it includes a CD of unreleased music, the best of which are two long cuts by the group DHS$.

I've read a copy of the original imprint at a library - a really good read. Some fascinating reminiscences about Graham Bond, the Colloseum years with Jon Hiseman and about Mike Taylor. Is it now available in re-print with CD? (in which case I'll get me a copy pronto).

The version with a CD is paperbound--I've seen lots of copies at Half Price Books in the recent past. It's this edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Blowing-Blues-Person...7209&sr=1-1

Jackie McLean - Strange Blues. Buddy gave me this LP years ago and I don't think I've ever had it on the turntable.

And, nuff respect to Ray Draper for what he did, but I just can't get into the tuba. The Mal Waldron tracks are nice though.

Right, he paved the way but seemed to have a difficult time himself with the instrument. But he was young and, had he had the opportunity to mature, who knows?

Gerry Mulligan/Shorty Rogers, Modern Sounds (Capitol)

Features a ten-piece group led by Mulligan in 1951 and a Rogers octet from 1953, both clearly influenced by the Miles Davis nonet. Both landmark sessions with arrangements by the leaders and including sidemen of the calibre of Chet Baker, Bud Shank and Chico Hamilton (Mulligan group) and Art Pepper, Hampton Hawes and Shelly Manne (Rogers group).

Newport Rebels (Candid)

A real curiosity! Superlative musicians from different eras united by participation in an alternative festival at Newport in 1960. Features Charles Mingus, Max Roach, Eric Dolphy, Roy Eldridge and Jo Jones. Performances of Eldridge and Dolphy (together!) particularly noteworthy.

willis jackson-headed and gutted....a little mellow but nice playing and i know it is good music and was worth $4 bucks.

before that gene ammons-brasswind...what the hell is going on during the first track? ammons sounds like he is asleep and then someone shakes him awake to play his solo. prince lasha is on this one a bit, which is weird too. i always feel david axelrod was OVERRATED as a jazz album producer. but a decent album...

lou donaldson-cosmos...was this his best blue note? i think it might be. really an awesome record...leon spencer, melvin sparks, jerry jemmott....great stuff. vocals don't get in the way and spencer plays a little clavinet!