What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

The dynamic is impressive, it even overload my Linn phono preamp! :o

:lol:

Yeah, the green light turned red in the highest peaks of the track.

Now spinning:

Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You - Decca original UK stereo pressing.

Man, those guys at the Decca knew how to do a record! Never found a true bad sounding Decca: from John Mayall to Solti's Mahler.

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Man, those guys at the Decca knew how to do a record! Never found a true bad sounding Decca: from John Mayall to Solti's Mahler.

Recording level was often a bit low though, relative to noise. Just playing one of those Argos and although the sound was exquisite, it could have done with being boosted up a bit. A '60s thing, I guess.

Recording level was often a bit low though, relative to noise. Just playing one of those Argos and although the sound was exquisite, it could have done with being boosted up a bit. A '60s thing, I guess.

Yep, sixties' pressings have a bit noisy vinyl, in the seventies' the vinyl compound was better, though I still think they did a great job from recording to pressing.

Classical Decca recordings always struck me positively. As the rock/pop stuff.

Jimmy McGriff - Fly dude - Groove Merchant (People UK)

Jimmy McGriff & Hank Crawford - Steppin' up - Milestone

Jimmy McGriff - The big band - Solid State orig mono - I've got to say that the sound difference on this one is AMAZING! It's a pity the music isn't as inventive as many of his others.

MG

Blow your horn with Benny Green (sic) & Paul Quinichette Brunswick ( heavy slab of 1950s UK vinyl). Surprisingly good group of separate sessions by the two leaders from 1953/4. Marlowe Morris on Hammond on the Vice-Prez tracks is nice and discreet.