What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

and Blue Notes - 'Blue Notes For Mongezi' (Ogun, 2LP). My find of the year, mint/near mint for a few £ :excited:

Have to dig that out again sometime. I remember being 'bored' by it on my last listen... :rfr

I like it but I'll admit that I do find this album to be difficult to listen to. I think that it has more to do with their performances being so raw and emotional than boring(though it probably could have been paired down to a single lp.) I really get the feeling that they were in a lot of pain and this session was a very cathartic experience for them. Stark contrast to the "Blue Notes for Johnny" session which sounds more like a wake.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and Blue Notes - 'Blue Notes For Mongezi' (Ogun, 2LP). My find of the year, mint/near mint for a few £ :excited:

Have to dig that out again sometime. I remember being 'bored' by it on my last listen... :rfr

I like it but I'll admit that I do find this album to be difficult to listen to. I think that it has more to do with their performances being so raw and emotional than boring(though it probably could have been paired down to a single lp.) I really get the feeling that they were in a lot of pain and this session was a very cathartic experience for them. Stark contrast to the "Blue Notes for Johnny" session which sounds more like a wake.

Blimey - I thought it was quite a gripping listen. First time I've heard it though (although I remember reading the reports of the Mongezi tribute concert in Melody Maker 30-odd years ago when it happened. I'll have to order the CD box set I think, to hear the full performance.

Ellington: Afro-Bossa (Discovery)

An overlooked gem.

Yes, back in the day when everyone was making a bossa nova record, jazzers like me often sneered, but some of them were very good indeed. This one and the Getz/McFarland Big Band Bossa Nova come to mind.

Not a single bossa nova on Afro-Bossa. The title track is a bolero.

Big Band Bossa Nova is a nice record.

Ike Quebec's Soul Samba is a favorite of mine. It may not be authentic sounding from a rhythmic p.o.v. but I still like it.

NP a recent purchase

Sergio Mendes - The Swinger from Rio featuring Antonio Carlos Jobim (Atlantic) RED/PURPLE MONO copy. This one's got Art Farmer, Hubert Laws and Phil Woods too so it's pretty jazzy but at least they got the percussion right.

Ellington: Afro-Bossa (Discovery)

An overlooked gem.

Yes, back in the day when everyone was making a bossa nova record, jazzers like me often sneered, but some of them were very good indeed. This one and the Getz/McFarland Big Band Bossa Nova come to mind.

Not a single bossa nova on Afro-Bossa. The title track is a bolero.

As I previously mentioned, "bossa" was stuck on a lot of albums to sell copies, i.e. Gene Ammons's "Soul Bossa Nova." Regardless of what they call them, some of these are good albums, even if they're not bossa.

"Afro-Bossa" is more of an exotica album. That and "Far East Suite" are filed right between "Fire Goddess" by Webley Edwards (Capitol) and "Exotic Percussion and Brilliant Brass" by John Evans (Directional Sound). No reason for me to file either in the jazz section, or they would get lost.

Nice one. Took me a long time to make that acquisition myself.

And have you ever seen one with the box not splitting around the edges?

I've only seen the one that I have, and it has some "wrinkling" on the top photo (not on the back), but no splitting. The vinyl is as clean as can be. I've only had it for a day, and just spun Side 1 of ICP 007. It is definitely a "Breuker-fest," and unlike the textures of the previous ICP records, though I haven't heard ICP 001. When the bank account recovers, I'll round that one up. I haven't had time to digest it fully, but some of the pieces remind me of Breuker's Baal. Hell yeah, this is awesome stuff. Someone needs to get this one back into print. Breuker, Bennink(s), Mengelberg, Tchicai, Braxton, Hampel, and, one of my new favorites, Van Manen? Count me in.

I have Breuker's ICP 009 on the way (it was his last on the label, I think), and it should be fantastic as well. Time to break out my copy of New Dutch Swing and re-read about these cats.

Yeah, the Message is pretty nice.

That sidelong drone piece on 007 (i think) - don't have it in front of me - is pretty sick.

Some of the early BVHaast titles are pretty interesting as well. Also the Theo Loevendie and Hans Dulfer records though that is a radically different bag (or three). I think Whitehead gives the shaft to a lot of the non-ICP characters, fwiw.