What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I seems there is not many bari players around here since I must admit I never played with one.

But who is the players here ? There was really a good conclave of bari on Mingus´ "Something like a Bird" where you have them great players Pepper Adams, Ronny Cuber, and who knows else, and the really flippin´ on there chorusses and taking 16´s , 8´s , 4´s , there is no better bari battle I have ever heard. 

But who is on this one ? 

https://www.discogs.com/release/11855269-Baritone-Madness-Heavy-Berries

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

oh, I personally have not heard about them, but sharp players are all around the world, great ! 

10 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Re: Bariton Players

But who is the players here ? There was really a good conclave of bari on Mingus´ "Something like a Bird" where you have them great players Pepper Adams, Ronny Cuber, and who knows else, and the really flippin´ on there chorusses and taking 16´s , 8´s , 4´s , there is no better bari battle I have ever heard. 

But who is on this one ? 

On one of th Berlin  Jazz Festivals (1985)  there was a a special Topic: The big horns (all bariton players).

- Nick Brignola

- Ronnie Cuber

- Cecil Payne

Have it on tape and must search it. Very interesting live event.

Edited by jazzcorner

Next up:

Ny04MDY1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ny05NDA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Herbie Mann - St. Thomas (UA Stereo, 1962)
This LP is a reissue of a title originally released as Herbie Mann's African Suite in 1959.  For contractual reasons, it was credited to Johnny Rae's Afro-Jazz Septet.  I'm not sure why UA reissued it just three years later, this time under the actual leader's name.

8 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Next up:

Herbie Mann - St. Thomas (UA Stereo, 1962)
This LP is a reissue of a title originally released as Herbie Mann's African Suite in 1959.  For contractual reasons, it was credited to Johnny Rae's Afro-Jazz Septet.  I'm not sure why UA reissued it just three years later, this time under the actual leader's name.

It was also reissued on Solid State as St. Thomas later in the 1960s.  I've run across a few copies of the original African Suite with clean covers and trashed vinyl.  I ended up putting a clean St. Thomas vinyl inside an African Suite cover. Some record collectors are horrified by this kind of mix-and-match, but I don't have room for trashed vinyl and boring covers (as my reply to your record storage thread would suggest).

Edited by Teasing the Korean

5 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

It was also reissued on Solid State as St. Thomas later in the 1960s.  I've run across a few copies of the original African Suite with clean covers and trashed vinyl.  I ended up putting a clean St. Thomas vinyl inside an African Suite cover. Some record collectors are horrified by this kind of mix-and-match, but I don't have room for trashed vinyl and boring covers (as my reply to your record storage thread would suggest).

I'm not horrified by that sort of mixing-and-matching at all.  If it floats your boat, then it's CORRECT.  We're not museum curators at the Smithsonian.  We're music lovers!  ;)