Jump to content

What vinyl are you spinning right now??


wolff

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 55.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • sidewinder

    5292

  • paul secor

    4123

  • clifford_thornton

    3874

  • jeffcrom

    2810

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/21/2024 at 4:12 PM, Pim said:

IMG-7024.jpg
 

Fascinating record from a Hungarian group recording with John Tchicai. I hear influences by Albert Ayler, Abdullah Ibrahim and Pharoah Sanders. Some free passages, spiritual jazz, free improvisation and compositional music. Pretty adventurous stuff. I’d call this my 2024 discovery for now.

Perhaps some prejudice of me but I did not expect a 1983 record from Hungary to sound so good!

Maybe they already know it but I am pretty sure this is the league of @mjazzg@Rabshakeh@soulpope and perhaps also @HutchFan
 

That's a good record. I really like it.

Not really the same thing, but I like George Szabados too, in Hungarians from the era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

That's a good record. I really like it.

Not really the same thing, but I like George Szabados too, in Hungarians from the era.

Yeah I like him too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now spinning:

MDktNTA5Mi5qcGVn.jpeg

Laurindo Almeida - Concierto de Aranjuez (East Wind JP, 1978)
My vinyl is the U.S. version issued on Inner City

 

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Excellent. Love it 👍 ❣️ :D

👍 - just spinning ...

Almeida back (Copy).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

First spin of a recent dollar-bin find:

Ny05MzQ1LmpwZWc.jpeg

Scott Hamilton & Warren Vaché - Skyscrapers (Concord, 1980)
A nonet session with Harold Ashby, Joe Temperley, Norman Simmons, and others

How is this one? I never really dug these guys, but I always liked how their records looked. Something about the late 1970s jazz ecosystem.

Edited by Rabshakeh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

How is this one? I never really dug these guys, but I always liked how their records looked. Something about the late 1970s jazz ecosystem.

The music is OK, but somewhat generic.  At this point, having heard it only once, I can't say that I'd recommend it.

I prefer individual albums by Hamilton (Tenorshoes) & Vaché (Polished Brass) much more. Both of these LPs feature smaller ensembles, which seem better suited to these players.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Vernard Johnson - I'm a Witness Too

PXL_20240424_063812635.jpg.84e61ad5e7f6893982a20ed87b14b86e.jpg

I forget who on this board recommended this gospel saxophonist. Apparently a big influence on John Butcher.

$2 purchase from Zia Thunderbird from a recent trip to Phoenix, Arizona.

I find Butcher's church influence increasingly apparent in his solo work. Funny how that can happen with age.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I find Butcher's church influence increasingly apparent in his solo work. Funny how that can happen with age.

I agree.

"Church influence" is funny in this case, since presumably it comes from records. I'm not sure of how substantial the pentecostal saxophone scene was in East Sussex in the mid- to late-1960s, but I'd guess that the answer is 'not very'. Where did he first come across this stuff, and what other records are there that influenced him? Vernard Johnson is not exactly a house name of here. One thing that I don't hear much with Butcher is an Ayler influence, which is where you would have assumed he would have started from.

It's a good record by the way. Very enjoyable as breakfast music, even if my wife is a bit less tolerant of outwardly churchy music.

Edited by Rabshakeh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I agree.

"Church influence" is funny in this case, since presumably it comes from records. I'm not sure of how substantial the pentecostal saxophone scene was in East Sussex in the mid- to late-1960s, but I'd guess that the answer is 'not very'. Where did he first come across this stuff, and what other records are there that influenced him? Vernard Johnson is not exactly a house name of here. One thing that I don't hear much with Butcher is an Ayler influence, which is where you would have assumed he would have started from.

It's a good record by the way. Very enjoyable as breakfast music, even if my wife is a bit less tolerant of outwardly churchy music.

Yes, sounds like he skipped Ayler and went to the source. I do remember reading about a small, very local pentecostalism that developed from some of the post Civil Wars sects and had survived in the Downs certainly into the 50s, documentation suggests. I wonder if a young Butcher came across them whilst seeking out local cisterns in which to practice.

Also, just remembered Prevost's mention of the Diggers and Muggletonians and their influence on the early structural identities of improvisation in East Anglia. Possible cross-pollination?

Have to say, I agree with your wife

Edited by mjazzg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pim said:

IMG-7032.jpg
Frank Wright (tenor saxophone), Bobby Few (piano), Alan Silva (bass), Muhammad Ali (drums)

Pretty intense stuff. Must have been quite a show there in Rotterdam.

Absolutely. Of course I'm far too young to have witnessed this band or Frank Wright live, though I did see Few, Silva, Noah Howard and Leroy Williams in concert and it was a beautiful experience, full of camaraderie and love. This was several years before Muhammad Ali reemerged. My impression of the Center of the World band is that they were FUN and not afraid to get house rockin' in what they played.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Eddie Harris - Instant Death

PXL_20240424_211705481.jpg.15a863046bb23e0d9ae21f8e2986bc82.jpg

A record that I have wanted to own for a while but which never showed up at the right price point, bought on recent trip to Phoenix.

Got my copy after you posted about it a while back, playing here now too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...