Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

mWyCr7_H_pWRgV7PCYZ61NA.jpg

PARADOX - Takashi Kako (p, celeste), Kent Carter (b, cello), Oliver Johnson (d, perc). JAPO/ECM.

On his website, Kako states that while he was in France in the 1970s, he was a student of Messiaen, but that he also became interested in free jazz and and that he "collaborated" with Steve Lacy (likely the source of his rhythm section) and Masahiko Togashi, and you can hear a lot of these influences going on here.

Good record. There's one with Claude Bernard and Itaru Oki called Paris Days that's also really nice.

Kako's first jazz records (I think) were with Bob Reid's Emergency, recorded in Paris in the early 70s. One on America and one on Reid's Kwela imprint.

I'll keep my eye out for those, sound interesting. Thanks for the recs.

Good record. There's one with Claude Bernard and Itaru Oki called Paris Days that's also really nice.

Kako's first jazz records (I think) were with Bob Reid's Emergency, recorded in Paris in the early 70s. One on America and one on Reid's Kwela imprint.

I'll second those recommendations...there's a whole bunch of Japanese TOK Lps that are great too...and "legend of the sea myself" is also very worthwhile.

I'll second those recommendations...there's a whole bunch of Japanese TOK Lps that are great too...and "legend of the sea myself" is also very worthwhile.

OK, thanks. The "Paradox" LP is marked as a TOK LP btw. I only alerted to it because of Kent Carter and Oliver Johnson. I figured it would have to be good if those guys were on it.

Just played:

17099.jpg

MENTAL SHAKE - Peter Brotzmann (reeds), Jason Adasiewicz (vibes), John Edwards (b), Steve Noble (d). OTORUKU LP.

I guess the buzz on this one is Adasiewicz' vibes, but the thing that hit me was the intense gravitational force field created by Edwards and Noble, that often had the vibes on the outside looking in. Not that it wasn't nice anyway. The vibes get a bit more of a look-in on side-2, and Adasiewicz even gets Brotzmann into sort of a swing mode for a minute or two. Brotzmann is on fire for most of the set, especially on side-1, just wailing.

371086.jpg

BOTH ENDS - Ballister: Dave Rempis (as, ts), Fred Lonberg-Holm (cello, elec), Paal Nilssen-Love (d, perc). Bocian LP. Yellow vinyl.

Rempis channeling Brotzmann, indeed the group is reminiscent of the early Brotzmann Trio. Reportedly recorded live while suffering the effects of food poisoning and the alcohol drunk to defeat the bacteria (does that work???), they definitely pounded the snot out of those bacteria if the performance is any indication.

Gerry_Mulligan_Pau_%20Desmond_Blues_in_T

Gerry Mulligan - Paul Desmond Quartet: Blues In Time (Verve/Mobile Fidelity)

I like Desmond's playing enough that I can tolerate Mulligan. Listening to this, I was reminded of a line that a friend of mine read and passed on to me. A musician once wisecracked that Mulligan played country and western baritone sax.