• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ken McIntyre with Eric Dolphy----------Looking ahead-------------(Esquire)

Not played this in ages but now I wonder why. It's a solid album that looks both forwards and backwards with some tracks almost suggesting Griff/Lockjaw sax battles. Walter Bishop is particular effective here. Decent session , sound on my pretty much pristine Esquire is of course top drawer.

Anthony Braxton, Five Pieces 1975 (Arista).

Probably my all time favorite Braxton album.

Mine too and arguably the best introduction to him. A shame it never had a standalone CD release.

and mine. Such a great band. I also love the cover photo.

meanwhile....on the player now

rr69.jpg

Ray Russell - Dragon Hill [CBS Realm]

with thanks to the boardees who answered my recent questions about this

91KCCPxI7BL._SX425_.jpg

Jerome Richardson Goes to the Movies (UA mono). I found this one, as well as the Med Flory above, at a "pop-up" LP sale in a warehouse not far from my house - 40,000 unsorted records in boxes on the floor. I spent about an hour there and probably only looked through a quarter of the boxes. Mostly junk, of course, but I walked out with seven LPs, in exchange for which I gave the guy the five bucks he asked for. Anyway, this Jerome Richardson album, which I thought could be pretty lame, is very good.

Later: To elaborate - no matter how unpromising some of the material looks ("Never on Sunday"?), the arrangements are imaginative, and Richardson plays as if his life depends on it. Really glad I discovered this one.

Edited by jeffcrom

91KCCPxI7BL._SX425_.jpg

Jerome Richardson Goes to the Movies (UA mono). I found this one, as well as the Med Flory above, at a "pop-up" LP sale in a warehouse not far from my house - 40,000 unsorted records in boxes on the floor. I spent about an hour there and probably only looked through a quarter of the boxes. Mostly junk, of course, but I walked out with seven LPs, in exchange for which I gave the guy the five bucks he asked for. Anyway, this Jerome Richardson album, which I thought could be pretty lame, is very good.

Later: To elaborate - no matter how unpromising some of the material looks ("Never on Sunday"?), the arrangements are imaginative, and Richardson plays as if his life depends on it. Really glad I discovered this one.

I've seen that LP a couple of times - seems to be fairly coveted by the DJ set.