• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andrew Hill------------Judgement -----------(BN NYC ) mono

Next....

Black Fire--------------(BN NYC) mono

Can't go wrong there, lovely to have them in Mono I suspect. Which one's next?

Next

Smokestack (NY mono)

all arrived today :)

Jealous of London. Enjoy! You've seriously disrupted CT's kharma by not sticking to the chronology though :)

Shouldn't be surprised about the Japanese So In Love - thought about that after posting. I assume that's a CBS?

I have two NY monos in nice shape, Black Fire and Point of Departure; the rest are Liberty pressings (and a King of Dance With Death).

"So in love with the sound of Andrew Hill" 1976 issue Warwick Japan( RJ-7152) manufacturered by Nippon Phonogram, Tokyo.

A12KP%2B1a-lL._SL1500_.jpg

Johnny Wick's Swinging Ozarks: Johnny Jack Boogie (United/Pearl)

Hadn't listened to this in maybe 25 years. Listened today and I couldn't understand why. It's a wonderful record - a quartet w. alto, piano, bass, and drums backing a tuba playing blues singer, Preacher Stephens. Add Remo Biondi playing bluesy violin on a couple of tracks and it's something to hear.

Edited by paul secor

Johnny Coles-------Little Johnny C------(BN NYC) mono

I just love this session. Funky without being formulaic . I bracket this with Whistle Stop for swinging ,grooving BN at it's early 60's best.

Yes, good session. Stealth Duke Pearson title !

Alan Skidmore Quintet 'Once Upon A Time' (Deram Nova, stereo)

Alan-Skidmore-Once-Upon-A-Time-478037.jp

Edited by sidewinder

The Alan Skidmore Quintet -TCB [Philips]

thanks for the idea Sidewinder

I've had a hard time liking this title. I only know it from the Vocalion CD. The sound seems to my ears to be impenetrable , very dense without enough separation between the instruments to make for easy listening. I've not spun it since changing my DAC so who knows it might yield more. I hope the LP is easier on the ear.

Taking a break from my BN fest of the past 24 hours....

Sun Ra--------Cosmos-----(Blue Silver)

Recorded Paris 1976 with smallish line up of 12 including Gilmore, Allen, Danny T. It's a studio recording with good sound. Limited weirdness and strikes me as one of the better Ra dates.

I've had a hard time liking this title. I only know it from the Vocalion CD. The sound seems to my ears to be impenetrable , very dense without enough separation between the instruments to make for easy listening. I've not spun it since changing my DAC so who knows it might yield more. I hope the LP is easier on the ear.

Interesting. I had the CD first and it didn't make too much of an impression. The LP however does - especially the septet on side 2 which I enjoy very much indeed. I'd not noticed a contrast in the sound but I've stopped listening to the CD so wouldn't really.

Edited by mjazzg

Interesting. I had the CD first and it didn't make too much of an impression. The LP however does - especially the septet on side 2 which I enjoy very much indeed. I'd not noticed a contrast in the sound but I've stopped listening to the CD so wouldn't really.

Have this on a Japanese CD and it sounds really nice. Excellent session.