What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

It's good!

One to add to the list of neverending cool records to hear :(

Currently playing one of two reissue LPs received in the mail today:

Amancio D'Silva "hum dono" (vocalion, UK). A definite improvement on the CD version in terms of mastering/sound. Better bass and overall a more visceral impact...wish I knew this vinyl reissue was imminent when I bought the CD!!

PS I wonder when "integration" will be reissued again? It's easily the stronger session in my book.

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And now the second reissue LP I received today:

Borje Fredriksson "intervall" (parlophone, Sweden)

A "record store day" release in Europe apparently; a numbered edition of 500 copies. My first ever RSD purchase! Very happy to see this nicely done reissue come out...will save me $300-400 on an original issue. Sounds great so far...

Currently playing one of two reissue LPs received in the mail today:

Amancio D'Silva "hum dono" (vocalion, UK). A definite improvement on the CD version in terms of mastering/sound. Better bass and overall a more visceral impact...wish I knew this vinyl reissue was imminent when I bought the CD!!

PS I wonder when "integration" will be reissued again? It's easily the stronger session in my book.

Worth a spin under a record cleaning machine, if available. I reckon lots of copies might have pressing detrius on them - one of the tracks on mine clicked until I ran it under the machine, even though visually it was flawless.

Here's hoping that Dutton Vocalion put out a few more of the Lansdownes on vinyl. The Guy Warrens would be nice !

Not sure I would totally agree with you on 'Integration' ( :D ) but I agree it's also a really, really nice session that is well worthy of reissue on vinyl by Vocalion (and another CD issue would be good). The fact that 'Hum Dono' has Harriott on it gives it that 'historic/landmark' edge, I guess.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, good one. This was originally released on the tiny Italian label Togetherness in the '60s, later reissued by Durium in the early 70s, and then Bates picked it up for Freedom, thus packaging it nicely for the Arista Freedom series in the US.

Actually the Arista-Freedom predates the Durium reissue (late 70's and eminently avoidable because of the cover art). The original "Hamba Khale!", credited to the "Gato Barbieri Dollar Brand Jazz Duo", has a beautifully designed cover and was released in 1969 on the Togetherness label, which is indeed quite obscure (I don't know any other release).

To make things complicated "Togetherness" is also the title of a (very fine) recording by the Gato Barbieri-Don Cherry quintet which was originally issued in 1966 on the... Durium label. The rhythm section on that album are Jean-François Jenny-Clarke and Aldo Romano and maybe that's the reason why it's sometimes mixed up with "Obsession", a trio session from 1967 which only saw the light of day in 1978 on the Affinity label.

Sorry about the disgression, but these Italian recordings of the 1960's are really very worthwile and the discographical mess might be one of the reasons they're often neglected.

Ah, I thought the Durium issue was earlier - it is indeed ugly looking compared to the original. I do have the beautiful Durium issue of the Cherry/Barbieri "Togetherness" record, which sounds incredible.

Lots of great and hard to find Italian jazz LPs from this era indeed.

As to Marty Cook, that record should be easy to find for $15 or less!

Have the Fredriksson on CD - it's wonderful. Wish I had an OG but what can you do?

jswithjamie_saleswinn_101b.jpg

I swear to god, Jamie singing a jingle is some of the sexiest music of the 20th Century. I mean that sincerely. Put the lady on a real pop tune, ehhhh, but give her a jingle to sing and hell yeah.

One sided private promo 33, and the label reads:

JOE SILVIA

23 Salem Lane

Evanston, Illinois

ORchard 4-2970

46d71d2b7f3df_26865b.jpg

Commemorating a Decade of Tranquilizer Therapy...ushered in by the discovery of 'Miltown' (meprobamate)--still, today, the therapeutic standard in the control of anxiety. - Wallace Laboratories, Cranbury, N.J.

A one-sided LP of a 1964 luncheon address bu the then-president of the AMA in which he urges physicians and psychiatrists to get over their mutual distrust, work together as allies in the battle against anxiety, and start prescribing more tranquilizers, because that will reduce the need for mental asylums, and if you don't believe me, here's some statistics from Louisiana. Comes with the original drug information sheet about Miltown.

Yup it's definitely up there in the top five or ten for sure!

And the original DG issue is by far the best sounding edition; none of that weird clipping which is on the CD and later LP edition.

I did have that crappy boot at one point; the sound was amazingly bad.

Now:

Mal Waldron - Nuits de la Negritude - (Powertree/Black Lion, JP)

1f2d_35.JPG

Players not credited (and hard as heel to find listed anywhere. Tuns out to be (per http://muroreco.shop-pro.jp/?pid=21977812 )

Pat Thomas(vo), Tommy Flanagan(p), Booker Little(tp), Curtis Fuller(tb), Roland Alexander(ts, fl), Teddy Charles(vib), Kenny Burrell(g), Reggie Workman(b), Charlie Persip(ds)

I had Fuller pegged right away, was leaning towards Charles because of the tremelo/vibrato setting ont he vibes, but I swear, I thought Reggie Workman was Ron Carter. The pressing is crap and has been played since new, but the bass playing on this record is something to hear, just a rich fat sound with articulation and sustain still very rare in jazz of the time. So, yeah, Reggie Workman, makes sense. Everybody else, had me guessing, and still am not 100% sold that it's Burrell.

Not a particularly well "presented" session, and Ms. Thomas seems a bit ill at ease (or maybe that's just how she sung), but definitely, she knew what she wanted to sing and how.

Also, I think that she used to come through Albuquerque in the early 1980s when I lived there, seems like the name was Pat Thomas. If so, she had a working band and a MD who created the trio arrangements to perfectly fit her concept. Every tune was tight as a glove and full of little quirks that worked (unlike the presentation here, which is very much run the tunes). But I had never heard of her then, and had forgotten all about her until finding this record, so...might not be the same person at all.

46d71d2b7f3df_26865b.jpg

Commemorating a Decade of Tranquilizer Therapy...ushered in by the discovery of 'Miltown' (meprobamate)--still, today, the therapeutic standard in the control of anxiety. - Wallace Laboratories, Cranbury, N.J.

A one-sided LP of a 1964 luncheon address bu the then-president of the AMA in which he urges physicians and psychiatrists to get over their mutual distrust, work together as allies in the battle against anxiety, and start prescribing more tranquilizers, because that will reduce the need for mental asylums, and if you don't believe me, here's some statistics from Louisiana. Comes with the original drug information sheet about Miltown.

Who's on bass?