• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the turntable today is a 5 record set, issued by RCA Victor titled "5 Golden Records"

This set has hits by every major musician from 1920 - 1971.

It's a mix of classical, early jazz, early pop, later jazz and is very interesting.

The set seems almost unplayed, as are many of these compilations and was, I think, a real find at $1 per record, or $5 for the immaculate boxed set. Scottish mother. What can I say? :w

Yes Clifford, that one and the other early Skidmore LP ('Once Upon A Time' on Deram Nova, recently reissued on the 'other' format) are brilliant, amongst the best in Brit-jazz. Skidmore doesn't get the plaudits he deserves - remember seeing him at Ronnies as part of Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine and he fitted right in like a glove.

Yes Clifford, that one and the other early Skidmore LP ('Once Upon A Time' on Deram Nova, recently reissued on the 'other' format) are brilliant, amongst the best in Brit-jazz. Skidmore doesn't get the plaudits he deserves - remember seeing him at Ronnies as part of Elvin Jones' Jazz Machine and he fitted right in like a glove.

Yeah, agreed - the Nova builds nicely, but TCB is phenomenal. I bet he was great with Elvin, too. My favorite Skid performance is a live boot (probably being passed around the internet by now) from Frankfurt in 1972 with the Griffiths-Taylor-Laurence-Levin quintet. Very strong stuff, but it would have been even greater to see!

Now spinning: Jarman-Moye Egwu-Anwu (India Navigation) featuring some drum patterns that, now that I think of it, sort of remind me of Hank Drake.

In fond remembrance of Bob Weinstock, spinning two of the first Prestige albums that came my way, both with 50th St. labels and both still playing beautifully:

Miles Davis 'Collectors' Items' with Sonny Rollins and Charlie Chan

Sonny Rollins 'Plus 4' with Clifford Brown and Max Roach