What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Roy Eldridge/Bud Freeman with the Elmer Snowden Sextet ----Saturday night fish fry------(Fontana) 

lively date produced by Chris Albertson in uncommonly good stereo sound. It's a real hoot with everyone sounding like they're having a good time. A real all star line up with the Bryant brothers and Jo Jones making up the rhythm section. My UK edition has one of the cool Jazzlife b&w covers. 

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4 March 2016 at 3:49 PM, Clunky said:

Carsten Meinert Kuartet-----To You ----( Fredericksburg Records) 2015 reissue of 1968 Danish LP

Very much in the manner of classic Coltrane quartet. Meinert does bring something else to the picnic so this doesn't merely sound like a. Trance copyist at work. Very high quality reissue . FR have a tiny output but the two things I have released under their imprint are of the highest order. Definitely a label to watch. I'll be interested to see what jazz they do next. I missed out on the CD which has 4 previously unreleased tracks.

Copy on order..

Late night spin of Sonny Rollins 'Saxophone Colossus' (Bergenfield DG mono)

Thisisthis-wr.jpg 

im listening on compact disc but you can listen on lp, after 2 albums i didnt quite get into yet (sportin life & domino theory), their last one is once again amazing.  this is music of the gods.  im so glad i got to see Zawinul Syndicate two times, it was really in the Weather Report spirit, if Wayne showed up it would of been complete

its sad they knew it was the last album, in the liner notes they have caricatures, off all the sidemen over the years and it says "all the musician who gave their enthusiasm and talent over the last fifteen years, we sincerely thank." - joe zawinul and wayne shorter

ITS LIKE THE INVISIBLE TOUCH OF WEATHER REPORT ALBUMS

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

71kHxTbuZIL._SY355_.jpg

Harold Vick--- Straight Up ----(RCA) 1967

Decent album , not as strong as his sole Blue Note title. I think his Strata East is probably his best. Albert Dailey is fine on piano with a nice touch. A few tunes sound a bit commercial - no doubt for radio play. It must have been quite a thing for Vick to have 2 albums put put by RCA in the late 1960's. Others will know better but I'm not aware of RCA being especially active with jazz in that period. The sound of this Dynagroove record is nice and clear.

https://bfrenzy.s3.amazonaws.com/items/400900914346.jpg  http://www.vinyltap.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/364x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/i/m/image_236192_3_1_3_5_8_6_6_10_1_17955.jpg

Last night I spun a bunch of (mostly) raw gospel 45s:

The Violinaires - Call on Him / I Don't Know (Checker). The slickest of the bunch.

Bro. Sammie Cheatam - Candidate for Heaven / Troubles of the World (Gospel Souvineer [sic])

Rev. Johnny L. Jones (The Hurricane) - Let it Shiine / Prayer #2 (Jewel)
Rev. Johnny L. Jones (The Hurricane) - I Came to Preach a Sermon / Prayer for the Elderly (Jewel)

Willie Morganfield - What is This / He Works That Way (Jewel). Rev. Morganfield was Muddy Waters' cousin, and was the pastor of Bell Grove Baptist Church in Clarksdale, Mississippi.

The Consolers - On God's Word / Waiting for My Child (Nashboro). I really enjoyed this one, by a husband and wife team from Florida.

The Staple Singers - Help Me Jesus / I Had a Dream (Vee-Jay)
The Staple Singers - Standing at the Bedside of My Neighbor / I'll Fly Away (D-Town). From what I can tell, the D-Town was made around 1963 or 1964, between the Staples' contracts with Riverside and Epic. This is the slowest "Beside of a Neighbor" I've ever heard; they don't get all the verses in.