• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.camjazz.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/325x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_86.jpg   https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/01/f0/f6/01f0f6ed7119237a0101ae5d5b31f9d3.jpg   http://assets.suredone.com/1993/media-pics/iss1962-new-preservation-hall-jazz-band-live-at-carnegie-hall-fan-pack-vinyl.png

Three seemingly unrelated albums I picked up in Seattle over the weekend. I hear plenty of connections between them.

George Lewis - Shadowgraph (Black Saint). I had always regretted not getting this when it was there to be got. Nice to finally have a good-quality copy.

Gary Burton - The Groovy Sound of Music (RCA Victor mono). Mr. Burton meets Mr. Swallow for the first time on vinyl.

Preservation Hall Jazz Band - Live at Carnegie Hall (Preservation Hall/Rounder 10"). The PHJB's January 7, 2012 concert resulted in the St. Peter & 57th St. CD and this 10" LP, which was in print for about five minutes. I missed out four years ago, but I'm glad to have it now.

Shadowgraph is a very fine record; have not played it in over 10 years.  A nice reminder to pull it out one day.  I recall not liking it quite as much as "homage to Charlie Parker" though..

I should pick up those Clifford Thornton records on Third World one day :(  I only have the BYG and "gardens of Harlem" albums.

Now spinning:

Grant Green "Sunday morning" (blue note, NY stereo ear)

Edited by Homefromtheforest

9 hours ago, Homefromtheforest said:

I should pick up those Clifford Thornton records on Third World one day :(  I only have the BYG and "gardens of Harlem" albums.

Freedom & Unity is great -- have had a few copies over the years and the one I've got now is in archival condition. Seems like between the small-label cheap pressing and dudes jamming it often, many copies are pretty rinked. Communications Network is a curious artifact though I wouldn't call it a particularly fantastic album. Also, the America is a must-own.

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

Freedom & Unity is great -- have had a few copies over the years and the one I've got now is in archival condition. Seems like between the small-label cheap pressing and dudes jamming it often, many copies are pretty rinked. Communications Network is a curious artifact though I wouldn't call it a particularly fantastic album. Also, the America is a must-own.

I still have my Goody pressing of Freedom and Unity bought back in the day.

38 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I still have my Goody pressing of Freedom and Unity bought back in the day.

yeah, Goody was weird -- a BYG-connected label it seems, set up to bootleg other labels' sessions and spotlighting musicians who were visiting Paris at the time. The Thornton was an odd one to rip off, but I guess he was pretty well-known in the scene at the time.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I forgot - I do have a mint copy of the America LP!  Too many records... :(

Marion Brown----la Placita ------(Timeless Jpn)

comments on another thread prompted getting this one out again. On the whole I'm pretty positive about the session although I can see why the guitarist is singled out for criticism. Ross' solos are pretty dull and don't quite seem to fit. As a fan of Brown I wouldn't be without it.