What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

17 hours ago, corto maltese said:

The blue background for "the Blues" is a stroke of designer's genius, so I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to these stones than we, unsophistacated souls, can imagine.

very impressive-- so yea....art licences didnt translate to the overseas jazz, so they all had new covers for the indie label releases.  pacific jazz it was the same think-- but yea....

• Replies 55.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Clunky said:

280492786581.jpg

Now this .,,,

Phil Seaman -------Now !.....Live!-------(Verve MGM UK)

picked this up for £4 yesterday and therefore appear to quite a bargain if Popsike is to be believed. Competent swing piano trio , pretty mainstream fare but quite energetically played.

Worth it just for the wording of the title (intentional?) and the cover art. I think a past edition of Jazzwise featured it in its 'non-PC' feature vintage LP - I wonder why? Tony Lee Trio at the Bulls Head, Barnes is what it says on the tin and that is exactly what you get. 

It is indeed a rare album. Needless to say my copy cost a wee bit more than £4. Where are you and Mark getting your LPs from - Ali Baba's cave? :)

Edited by sidewinder

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:41 AM, Clunky said:

The Esquire art department surpassed itself with this alternative cover. Mind you the Prestige original isn't anything to talk about (although it is better IMO) . I'm uncertain how four stones equates or relates in any way to the blues or being alone. Perhaps it's the type of rock depicted or some 'in joke' that a half century later is entirely lost. Spinning this now as I found a nice near mint copy yesterday. The music is pretty good , perhaps my favourite Bryant. Sounds very fresh.

Ray Bryant-------Alone with the blues-------(Esquire UK) dg etc..

Ray+Bryant+Alone+With+The+Blues+590081.j

here's the Prestige original for completeness

220px-Alone_with_the_Blues_(Ray_Bryant_a

I don't know what connection the Esquire has to the title, but it certainly grabs my attention more than the generic Prestige cover does.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Worth it just for the wording of the title (intentional?) and the cover art. 

I'm sure it wasn't intentional. There was a surprising innocence in those days about what now would be suggestive names. Remember this was when Uranus was pronounced with the stress on the second syllable. :huh:

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Worth it just for the wording of the title (intentional?) and the cover art. I think a past edition of Jazzwise featured it in its 'non-PC' feature vintage LP - I wonder why? Tony Lee Trio at the Bulls Head, Barnes is what it says on the tin and that is exactly what you get. 

It is indeed a rare album. Needless to say my copy cost a wee bit more than £4. Where are you and Mark getting your LPs from - Ali Baba's cave? :)

Picked the Seaman and the Bryant Esquire up at Oxfam. 

s-l300.jpg

Various artists -------Loaded--------(London/Savoy) UK

Vido Musso gets plenty of space here. The tracks have an interesting swing to bop feel but Musso is really too vulgar a player to make it truly enjoyable. Boots Mussulli or Lem Davis would be more interesting but get much less space. Denzil Best is the drummer on most of the tracks. So interesting but nothing incredible on these less well know mid forties titles.

Howard McGhee -------Nobody knows you when you're down and out.....-------(UA) 

two quartet sessions one with organ the other piano. The whole thing has an appropriately melancholy air . Maggie's tone is suitably poignant. It's clearly one off date for all concerned but Howard sounds more alert than other sessions of this vintage . (Unlike some other UA vinyl no 'ear' in the dead wax)

Edited by Clunky