Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jimmy Giuffre 4 - Dragonfly (Soul Note)

one of today's arrivals. I'd held off for no other reason that there always seemed to be other Giuffre to investigate but this one I like a lot on first listen. Shouldn't be a surprise that Giuffre should make a group recording where his voice transcends instrumentation that in other hands was less successful. It's so Giuffre

6465234949_4b16b379bb_b.jpg

Fontana UK (stereo). Walked right past the Needle today so in recognition of Mr Ross I had a sit at the base :cool:, albeit at the other side. These is some shrapnel damage to the base due to a 1917 WW1 aerial bomb, the first of the war to hit London apparently !

Edited by sidewinder

http://filmsgraded.com/lp/0/0/6/6.jpg

One Night Stand with Duke Ellington: At the Steel Pier, Atlantic City, N.J., July, 1964 (Joyce). I've had this album for at least ten years, but I hardly ever play it, because it was mastered from horribly sped-up tapes. Tonight I thought, "Oh yeah, I've got a variable-speed turntable now." I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes, and hadn't thought to play this LP since I got this turntable. Since I know what key Ellington played many of these tunes in, I slowed down the table to the right speed for the record, and am now hearing these performances correctly for the first time.

There are half a dozen tunes from the then-brand-new Ellington '65 album, and about as many Ellington standards. The taped-off-the-radio sound is not great, but this is a nice, spirited performance.

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I was still at school when I bought he Jimmy Giuffre Clarinet when it first came out in the UK on London.  Fascinating music.

This one must be omnipresent here, it seems. I don't have many Giuffre leader records but this is one of the two Giuffre LPs (plus 3 EPs from various other LPs) I have (don't even remember why I bought this one specifically). Must listen to it again occasionally.