Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

Rudolf Dasek-------- Mezipristani Interlanding------(Supraphon)

Quartet with Andrew Cyrille and the incredibly talented ( on this evidence ) Karel Ruzicka on piano. Highly recommended

Regarding more of Karek Růžička look for the all Czech album titled "Ozveny" (aka "Echoes")  released on Supraphon in 1979 ....

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

What's on Duke's Mixture? 

Just six songs, I Let A Song Go Out of My Heart, The Hawk Talks, How High the Moon, Do Nothing Til You Hear from Me, VIP's Boogie, and the Mooche. House Party Series, with no discographical iinformation, just a listing of other records for sale.

Gjon Mili photo on front cover.

Edited by kh1958

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Open Sky - Spirit In The Sky [PM Music]

this trio - Liebman, Tusa, Moses - is a recent discovery. Some good playing from all three on this. 

Agree- I was more than surprised when I stumbled on this a few years ago. Revised my opinion upwards on Liebman. I now consider him both cool and original , previously neither.

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

:tup!

I think it's an unfortunately titled album, even though it's an accurately titled one. It's mostly interesting (or more than interesting) music that reflects a more rag/"hot jazz" inspiration, but it's in no way "early Third Stream" or anything like that. Somebody wanting to talk about how "European" composers "wanted" jazz but fundamentally misunderstood it could easily use this as ammunition for their argument, but that would be a misguided point entirely. This guy got what he wanted out of what he was hearing and then went about things he was gonna do anyways.

I do get a BIG LOL about this one:

If Don Ellis every felt a bump in the night, it might have been this...not anything to do with meter, just the discombobulation within the standard symmetries and the pointed, intentional "corniness" used as subterfuge, I mean, jeez...

On 05/11/2016 at 3:42 PM, Clunky said:

Agree- I was more than surprised when I stumbled on this a few years ago. Revised my opinion upwards on Liebman. I now consider him both cool and original , previously neither.

Funny that because until this LP I too hadn't really been grabbed by anything of Liebman's. I came to the Open Sky LPs through Bob Moses.

Have you found anything subsequently that has consolidated the cool and original Liebman view?  I'm thinking I might explore a bit more