• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Miroslav Vitous and Roy Haynes.  :tup 

Thanks.  Amazing that they couldn't find space for this in a gatefold cover, yet they devote space to printing - in a giant font, no less - Chick Corea's poem that he wrote as stoned sophomore. 

I read that Chick rates this as his favorite among his own albums.  This was never in the bins when I started shopping for jazz in the late 1970s.  I found a used copy for two bucks. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

7 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks.  Amazing that they couldn't find space for this in a gatefold cover, yet they devote space to printing - in a giant font, no less - Chick Corea's poem that he wrote as stoned sophomore. 

I read that Chick rates this as his favorite among his own albums.  This was never in the bins when I started shopping for jazz in the late 1970s.  I found a used copy for two bucks. 

Where were you shopping? It was always available back in my day. Solid State was by then under the UA umbrella and Chick was a "star".

But before then, the record had quite a cult following. Future Star UNT Piano Prof Dan Haerle did an annotated transcription of "Matrix" in DB long before the RTF era, and now, look at this, Bert Ligon was one of Haerle's star students (and a perfectly fine player).

What I get most out of this slowed-down audio is that Roy Haynes!

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

R-2204587-1283324631.jpeg.jpg

John Dankworth with his Orchestra and Guests - Zodiac Variations [Fontana]

LOVE this album.  I've stumbled across exactly one copy in my life - the one I bought - and I've never seen another since.

I file it in the zodiac section, which also includes "Soul Zodiac" by the Adderlys and Axelrod.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Where were you shopping? It was always available back in my day. Solid State was by then under the UA umbrella and Chick was a "star".

But before then, the record had quite a cult following. Future Star UNT Piano Prof Dan Haerle did an annotated transcription of "Matrix" in DB long before the RTF era, and now, look at this, Bert Ligon was one of Haerle's star students (and a perfectly fine player).

What I get most out of this slowed-down audio is that Roy Haynes!

Don't know what DB or RTF are.  

I shopped in places like mall record stores, and then the larger stores like Peaches when they were around.  By the time I started buying, I could find twofers on Groove Merchant but nothing on Solid State.  Maybe it was a regional thing. 

Nathan Davis——-Suite for Dr Martin Luther King Jr———(Tomorrow International Productions) reissue 

much as I admire Davis this album is uneven with the best bits being ‘gloriously dated’ and some bits just ‘dated’.

No idea who is producing this reissue. If your a fan of Nathan you know what to do. If you’re new to him look elsewhere 

15 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Dread Beat an' Blood

Linton Kwesi Johnson: Dread Beat an' Blood (Heartbeat)

Oh yes!! :tup:tup a prophet who wasn't listened to and probably still isn't.

If only more ears were open...as relevant today as when it was first released especially given recent events in the UK