What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

CS363693-01A-BIG.jpg

I have an early vinyl of this.  US jacket, French lp - remember those.  Just got the cd in the five cd set.  I like it as it reminds me of those terrific nights at Ronnie's where the Shepp band's first set was A Portrait of Robert Thompson.   Caught them several times and it always amazing, kicking off with a flamenco style solo from Jimmy Garrison.  Unforgettable..

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shepp is coming up at the LJF. Tempted but the logistics are not favourable.

This UK Impulse from the late 60s seems to be a continuation of the HMV vinyls. Garrod and Lofthouse non-gatefold cover and EMI vinyl. I remember that I used to have a 70s US pressing of this with a cutout - sold it to the guys at Mole for about £1. :rolleyes:

Edited by sidewinder

On 10/19/2018 at 0:15 PM, Gheorghe said:

This one !

This album has a special meaning to me.
It was around 1977 and I was a new born jazz fan. Until then I only had two LP´s (Miles Davis "Steamin´" and Charles Mingus "Mingus Ah Um")

A good source of information during that days was a radio programm on Saturday Night called "Jazz Shop". The DC Herwig Wurzer spinned and commented records that were new ore newly reissued on the jazz market and he was a voice in the night like Symphony Sid would have been for those a generation before me.

He played the first 2 tunes "Winterset" and the fantastic slow blues "Gotcha Goin and Comin".

I think I haven´t spinned that for 4 decades. Almost have forgotten how good it is, everybody, Byrd´s trumpet is fantastic, Frank Foster, Hank Jones, Paul Chambers (my "hero" from the classic Miles Davis quinted, see..... those men Miles Trane, Red, Paul, Philly J.J. was heroes to me like let´s say for the teenie girls would be John Travolta then...).

Highly recommended if you find it or have it. Play it !

Unbenannt.png

Have this one and love it.

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

CS363693-01A-BIG.jpg

I have an early vinyl of this.  US jacket, French lp - remember those.  Just got the cd in the five cd set.  I like it as it reminds me of those terrific nights at Ronnie's where the Shepp band's first set was A Portrait of Robert Thompson.   Caught them several times and it always amazing, kicking off with a flamenco style solo from Jimmy Garrison.  Unforgettable..

Classic. I have a red/black US label with a nice glossy jacket. One of the first Shepps I heard in college, at that time on CD. Must've been incredible to catch that band in the late '60s.