What vinyl are you spinning right now??

wolff

Strange that the master tapes turned up after that story in the book !

The Harry Beckett book by the way - like the Innovations In British Jazz tome by John Wickes - really could have used some serious editing as there are daft grammatical errors and some repetition even within sections. Still, it is gratifyingly full of detail and an obvious labour of love and for that it gets a big :tup from me. There are gigs in there that I had seen with Harry and completely forgotten about until reminded from the text. The Claude Deppa African Big Band in 1999, for example.

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 55.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

R-712506-1496316604-2999.jpeg.jpg

i can see why this one is so rare, it is very different, and in many ways the end of the real BN organ era.  Ronnie Fosters hella good, but hes more a "keyboard" player, its more a keyboard albums those, not "organ" albums......

:o never seen that, either version

Hopefully they bring ‘Drives’ out as a Tone Poet. A decent copy of this one has always eluded me and I missed the ‘Rare Groove’ version for some reason.

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Hopefully they bring ‘Drives’ out as a Tone Poet. A decent copy of this one has always eluded me and I missed the ‘Rare Groove’ version for some reason.

In the very early 70s, Down Beat offered that record as a bonus if you subscribed.

By the time I got my own, it was The Gap Sealer, so hey, still good.

NP:

R-1013643-1301360023.jpeg.jpg

Ramsey Lewis - Them Changes (Cadet, 1970)

On this live set, guitarist Phil Upchurch sits in with trio regulars Cleveland Eaton & Morris Jennings.  I think this LP and the two that followed -- Back to the Roots (Cadet, 1971) and Upendo Ni Pamoja (Columbia, 1972) -- are all top-shelf Soul Jazz records.

R-1673424-1348482172-6275.jpeg.jpg

Now and then I play it, since it has a good value on the used market, I think I could sell it and buy one of Mosaic vinyl sets I miss, but I never do, overall Nirvana is the last rock band I really liked and I love their records.

Edited by porcy62

11 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Last night:

R-6256812-1415034069-4704.jpeg.jpg

R-6256812-1415034078-9685.jpeg.jpg

Booker Ervin - That's It (Candid/Barnaby)

I have the Dutch pressing of this Barnaby reissue -- with the orange CBS label.  I bought it at Mole Jazz on a memorable trip to London many years ago. :) 

I bought a number of those Candid/Barnabys at Mole as deletions but not the Ervin. Richard Williams, Mingus and Don Ellis I think.

R-2785514-1312651784.jpeg.jpg

Japan.

I had the twoofer back then, one of my first jazz records, listening to it I realized for the first time that a drummer can play, rather then keeping the tempo and hitting the drums like a thug in a brawl during the solo.

Edited by porcy62

Elvin Jones, Skyscrapers, volume 2 (Honeydew)

The New Brubeck Quartet, A Cut Above (Direct Disk)

Image result for Elvin Jones Skyscraper volume 2Dizzy Gillespie, The Giant (America)Image result for new brubeck quartet direct diskImage result for Billie and Dede Pierce preservation hallImage result for Dizzy Gillespie the giant americaImage result for Art Blakey and the new jazz men live in paris

Billie and DeDe Pierce and Their Preservation Hall Jazz Band, (Preservation Hall)

Art Blakey and the New Jazz Men, Live in Paris '65