Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51aj65I%2BSSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Golden Eagles - Lightning and Thunder (Rounder) Big Chief Monk Boudreaux and his Mardi Gras Indian tribe recorded uptown at the H & R Bar. This is the amazing New Orleans "Indian" tradition at its purest - no funk rhythm section, just call-and-response vocals and hand percussion.

Sonny Rollins: Now's The Time(RCA) Classic reissue

Killer music and IMO a killer reissue by Classic. Anyone else think so?

Big, booming tone on Sonny's tenor. Deep and detailed bass.

Like many live shows, the bass on many jazz records is not as present as I like.

Shelly Manne: My Fair Lady (Contemporary)

Previn/Freeman: Double Play (Contemporary) Yummmmmmy cover!!

Jimmy Smith: Home Cookin' (BN) mono

Ellington: Anatomy Of A Murder (Mobile Fidelity)Some stuff I really and some I wish had a remote with a skip track button for my turntable.

Hank Mobley: Hank Mobley BN 1568 (Classic Records)

Curtis Fuller: The Opener BN 1567 (King Japan)

Doing a little comparison of the sound of Mobley's tenor on these two, just for kicks

Edited by TheLBC

Leith Stevens 'Jazz Themes from Private Hell 36' (Coral reissue from Fresh Sound)

with Shorty Rogers, Milt Bernhart, Lennie Niehaus, Bud Shank, Jimmy Giuffre, Claude Williamson, Shelly Manne, etc...

the LP also includes Jazz Themes for 'Cops and Robbers' by Johnny Mandel and Bill Holman

Leith Stevens 'Jazz Themes from Private Hell 36' (Coral reissue from Fresh Sound)

with Shorty Rogers, Milt Bernhart, Lennie Niehaus, Bud Shank, Jimmy Giuffre, Claude Williamson, Shelly Manne, etc...

the LP also includes Jazz Themes for 'Cops and Robbers' by Johnny Mandel and Bill Holman

Is your copy mono or stereo? What is interesting about this album is that, while recorded in mono, they made it stereo by placing the mono recording in the center channel and overdubbing percussion and vibes left and right.

NP:

Duke Jordan - Dangerous Liaisons - Charlie Parker Records (red label, stereo)

The Bob Crewe Generation - Let Me Touch You - Forget the label, the cover is in the next room.

Sun Ra - The Soul Vibrations of Man (El Saturn) The Arkestra from the Jazz Showcase, 1977. I picked this one tonight because it contains "Halloween in Harlem." It's also got a great version of "The Shadow World." I must have eight or nine recordings of that piece, but I never get tired of it.

Is your copy mono or stereo? What is interesting about this album is that, while recorded in mono, they made it stereo by placing the mono recording in the center channel and overdubbing percussion and vibes left and right.

It's stereo!

Have always been fascinated by the Havana Interlude track composed and arranged by Leith Stevens. A very intricate and successful arrangement with beautiful solos by Lennie Niehaus, Shorty Rogers; Jimmy Giuffre on tenor, Milt Bernhart and - last but not least - Bud Shank on bass sax!

Shank's bass sax playing throughout that composition is nothing short of magnificient!

Lots of vinyl today, including:

Duke Ellington - One Night Stand at Steel Pier, Atlantic City 1964 (Joyce) Most of the material is from the Ellington '65 album. This one unfortunately plays about a half step sharp.

Gene Ammons - Bad Bossa Nova/Jungle Soul (Prestige mono)

The Mighty Sparrow - Calypso Carnival (Id) A really nice 1968 calypso/soca album from Trinidad.

Duke Ellington - Newport 1958 (Columbia 6 eye mono)