Top Posters In This Topic

• sidewinder

• paul secor

• clifford_thornton

• jeffcrom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

de1342dbab98.jpg

Adam Makowicz - Naughty Baby (RCA Novus)

I'm going through my LPs, trying to decide which ones to get rid of to free up some shelf space, and this one got placed in the "maybe" stack. I got it years ago, after reading Max Harrison's praise, but only listened to it a couple of times. Well, I'm not sure what didn't connect back then, because I really enjoyed it today. It's a program of Gershwin, with Charlie Haden on bass (sometimes joined by Dave Holland) and Al Foster on drums. Makowicz's playing is really interesting - he leaves lots of spaces for someone with so much technique.

I hope I find some stuff I'm willing to get rid of....

4c493cac25e2c_118695n.jpg

Rich Matteson/Harvey Phillips - The Matteson-Phillips Tubajazz Consort (Mark)

Another possible discard, and another that I've decided to keep. I'm a sucker for groups of homogeneous instruments - this group consists of three euphoniums, three tubas, and a good rhythm section which includes Rufus Reid and Ed Soph. Hearing all those tubas play "Oleo" is pretty cool.

de1342dbab98.jpg

I'm going through my LPs, trying to decide which ones to get rid of to free up some shelf space, and this one got placed in the "maybe" stack. I got it years ago, after reading Max Harrison's praise, but only listened to it a couple of times. Well, I'm not sure what didn't connect back then, because I really enjoyed it today. It's a program of Gershwin, with Charlie Haden on bass (sometimes joined by Dave Holland) and Al Foster on drums. Makowicz's playing is really interesting - he leaves lots of spaces for someone with so much technique.

That cover image cracks me up; it's been a google avatar of mine on some sites for a while now. Yet I have not heard the actual recording.

de1342dbab98.jpg

That cover image cracks me up; it's been a google avatar of mine on some sites for a while now. Yet I have not heard the actual recording.

The photo on the back is even worse - it's Makowicz in a truly awful 1980s sweater. My wife thought I should get rid of the album just due to that picture.

Now playing:

61SImQo2-oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

John Lee Hooker - Free Beer and Chicken (ABC). An odd and very fun album.

Then:

Eric Dolphy - Last Date - (Limelight, gatefold stereo)

Just noticed that the watercolors reproduced on the cover are credited to Zibigniew Jastrebski, he of the great '60s/'70s Delmark graphic art. Chuck probably knows a fair amount about him; I understand that he taught at SAIC for some time, well before I went there.

Now:

Fred Van Hove - Requiem for Che Guevara Martin Luther King John F. & Robert Kennedy Malcolm X - (MPS, Japanese pressing)

Edited by clifford_thornton

Joe Wilder 'The Pretty Sound' (Columbia, six-eye mono)

096395.jpg

what's this one like, ???

I'm fond of his Savoy date

Nice but obviously Columbia did not know what to do with Wilder (the other album 'Peter Gunn' is rather uneven). The Savoy session is a better display of the man's talent!

Now spinning:

Budd Johnson 'French Cookin' (Argo, stereo)

056984.jpg

Wish I could still buy new-crop potatoes from Morocco at 1,20-Franc at the nearby open market!