Venus vinyl???

wolff

I'm going to place an order with Cadence. Thinking of getting a few Steeplechases, VSOP's(love the covers and can't afford originals) and others. They even have a couple Artist House and Nessa titles left.

I have nothing from this label(Venus), but from what I gather it seems like a highly respected label.

Cadence has a bunch of titles at $22 each and I was thinking of picking up a couple.

Could not find a web site for Venus. I was wondering if they still press vinyl or if these are leftovers. I'll also contact Cadence for more info. Maybe, they can order other titles.

Do you like their pressings? Quiet/noisy? Recording quality?

Thanks

Edited by wolff

wolff,

I have a little over 40 Venus LPs - Richard Beirach, Stefano Bollani, Marion Brown, Bill Charlap, Stanley Cowell, Roland Hanna, Eddie Higgins, Steve Kuhn, One For All, Enrico Rava, Archie Shepp, Barney Wilen, Claude Williamson, and Phil Woods - as you can see strong emphasis on piano trios and "mainstream-oriented".

The music, recording and production quality (including covers), quality of vinyl are ALL superlative.

Venus does have a webpage in Japanese - Venus Records

charles

Edited by charlesp

• 1 month later...

Venus Records have just issued 10 new LPs on 180g RED vinyl ( a fetish within a fetish - a subfetish ? ). The LPs are available from Hiroshi Tanno @EarlyRecords, or fromRed Trumpet.

The LPs include an Eddie Higgins w/ strings - Moonlight Becomes You, a release from Charles McPherson w/ the Steve Kuhn trio - But Beautiful, a new release from David Hazeltine - Alice In Wonderland, a Chano Dominguez trio LP - Con Alma, a live recording from Jimmy Scott - Live In Tokyo, a Stefano Bollani trio LP - Ma L'Amore No, Peter Bernstein w/ the Brad Mehldau trio - Stranger In Paradise, a Ray Brown tribute from Jay Leonhart, Benny Green and Joe Cohn - Fly Me To The Moon, and LPs from artists with whom I am unfamiliar - a vocalist named Simone, and John DiMartino's "Romantic Jazz Trio".

I can recommend Con Alma and Alice In Wonderland.

Thanks to Mr. Tanno, I am enjoying a fantastic pressing of an ESPdisc - a Venus Records reissue of Steve Lacy's The Forest And The Zoo - what a concept - fantastic pressing and ESP in the same sentence !

Edited by charlesp

• 5 months later...

Hiroshi Tanno of EarlyRecords has announced that Venus Records will be releasing several new Vinyl releases on January 26, 2005 - Vinyl lives! :

Eric Alexander - Gentle Ballads - TKJV-19146

(Bill Charlap)New York Jazz Trio - Stairway To The Stars - TKJV-19140

Eddie Higgins - If Dreams Come True Vol 1 - TKJV-19138

Eddie Higgins - If Dreams Come True Vol 2 - TKJV-19139

Bob Kindred - Blue Moon - TKJV-19147

Steve Kuhn - Easy To Love - TKJV-19143

Harold Mabern - Fantasy - TKJV-19141

Danilo Rea - Romantica - TKJV-19144

Simone - Romance - TKJV-19145

Super Jazz Trio - Super Standard - TKJV-19142

Edited by charlesp

• 1 year later...

Venus Records have just issued 10 new LPs on 180g RED vinyl ( a fetish within a fetish - a subfetish ? ). The LPs are available from Hiroshi Tanno @EarlyRecords, or fromRed Trumpet.

The LPs include an Eddie Higgins w/ strings - Moonlight Becomes You, a release from Charles McPherson w/ the Steve Kuhn trio - But Beautiful, a new release from David Hazeltine - Alice In Wonderland,

( a fetish within a fetish - a subfetish ? ) :lol:

Could you please pass along the catalogue # for that Hazeltine LP?

Also, are there any particular LPs in this batch that you'd highly recommend? I'm waiting on the new Kuhn & NY Trio vinyl releases in April and might like to add in something from the list. Thanks.

Mabern 'Fantasy'

Walton 'Midnight Waltz'

Mabern 'Don't Know Why'

Kuhn 'Easy To Love'

Son-of-a-Weizen,

David Hazeltine's Alice in Wonderland is TKJV-19130. If you want it on LP (this is the Vinyl Forum) - it is available at Music Direct. My favorites from the 2004 series are the Hazeltine, the McPherson and the Chano Dominguez.

As an timely update to this thread, Hiroshi Tanno @ Early Records has announced that Venus will be issuing 9 new LPs on April 19, 2006:

Eddie Higgins - Amor - TKJV-19159

David Hazeltine - Cleopatra's Dream - TKJV-19160 (Bud Powell compositions)

New York Trio (Bill Charlap) - Begin the Beguine - TKJV-19161

Steve Kuhn - Pavane for a Dead Princess - TKJV-19162

Barbara Carroll - In a Sentimental Mood - TKJV-19163

Dan Nimmer - Tea for Two - TKJV-19164

Joe Beck - Brazilian Dreamin' - TKJV-19165

Francesco Cafiso - New York Lullaby - TKJV-19166

Eddie Higgins - When Your Lover Has Gone - TKJV-19167

Mr Sangry, you may want to hide the covers of the new David Hazeltine and Steve Kuhn LPs.

charles

Edited by charlesp

Charles, Thanks for the info. I'll probably go for the first 4 on that list...probably add the Nimmer as well. Coincidentally, I had an opportunity to chat up the issue of Venus vinyl and future releases with a Venus recs exec who was at the Harold Mabern Trio show last night. I mentioned that Hazeltine record and he said it's probably over at the Jazz Record Center on W. 26th.....so I'll hoof it over there in a short while to have a look around. If I strike out, I'll be sure to follow your link. BTW, shoot me a quick pm if there's a particular record you're iso and I can try to track down for you. Last bit of info for whatever it's worth -- I expressed an interest in John Hicks and Trio San (execs daughter seemed quite pleased that I had their cd!) and he said he thought that Hicks would be back in the studio at some future date. :tup

Thanks to Mr. Tanno, I am enjoying a fantastic pressing of an ESPdisc - a Venus Records reissue of Steve Lacy's The Forest And The Zoo - what a concept - fantastic pressing and ESP in the same sentence !

My original of that sounds clean - the recording itself isn't well-balanced, but that's no fault of the pressing.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was at the Jazz Record Center today and picked up my first Venus Lp -

Eddie Higgins - My Foolish Heart

Pricey bigger at $35, but I decided to splurge after reading the accolades here.

Can't wait to give it as spin when I get home.

Question - do the corresponding Venus cds have tracks that are not on LPs?

• 2 months later...

Hiroshi Tanno of Early Records has announced that Venus Records will be releasing ten new LPs on January 24, 2007:

Ken Peplowski Quartet - Memories of You * vol. 1 - TKJV 19168

Ken Peplowski Quartet - Memories of You * vol. 2 - TKJV 19169

Eric Alexander Quartet - Gentle Ballads II - TKJV 19170

Francesco Cafiso Quartet - Seven Steps to Heaven - TKJV 19171

Richie Beirach Trio - Manhattan Reverie - TKJV 19172

New York Trio (Bill Charlap) - Thou Swell - TKJV 19173

Dan Nimmer Trio - Kelly Blue - TKJV 19174

David Hazeltine Trio - alfie - TKJV 19175

John Di Martino - Jazz Mozart - TKJV 19176

Harold Mabern Trio - Somewhere Over the Rainbow - TKJV 19177

Edited by charlesp