New members to the board - how did you find us??

Thank you all

I found you while makeing a search of my own recordings on thru Google.

It's my honor to be among all of you.

As for "Swing" it's a cover word for a time signature or time meter.

As for the quote by mr A. S., the one musician mentioned by Joseph P. Schillinger, who

by the way was mr. Artie S. teacher, said that "Duke" Ellington is the "Master" of pure swing.

This may be found in his books , The Schillinger System Of Musical Composition copyright 1941.

As for Clave it's a latin word, may I suggest that every musician should check out its meaning.

After that I may try and help all to understand its importance in all musics.

Any help that I can give a member please, contact me.

Best regards to all.

Musically,

Juan Amalbert

A K A

Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim

www.eastwestrecords.com/

Edited by Juan Amalbert

So Juan, how did you find us? ;)

(and what's a clave anyhow? :g )

For drummers it's a pain in the ass to play (pardon my English).

Unless you have it in your blood, of course. :g

http://www.geocities.com/sd_au/clavetheory/clavetheory3.htm

Cheers!

I did check the site you mentioned, and I must say that the "theory" here is quite "Hybrid." In other words not musically correct in the notation, whether it is 2-3 clave or 3-2 clave as they try to describe it.

First, let me say that should one notate a clave in 4/4 it will never sound correct when

it is read by a musician who should play it.

Musically,

Juan Amalbert

Cheers!

I did check the site you mentioned, and I must say that the "theory" here is quite "Hybrid." In other words not musically correct in the notation, whether it is 2-3 clave or 3-2 clave as they try to describe it.

First, let me say that should one notate a clave in 4/4 it will never sound correct when

Musically,

Juan Amalbert

Hi Juan,

you're right of course. I just took the first link that popped up. The clave is, for us Europeans, quite a complicated thing. It's the feel of it. I remember a (from Brazil) drummer I met not so long ago who basically said (I'm paraphrasing here):" You're not gonna get it anyways, so just drop it!"

The notation is just squeezed into a scheme most people here are familiar with, and I've seen it like this or similar many times. But if you don't know what it is, you're just gonna get a mechanical-sounding thingie that's about as far removed as possible.

I have one excellent notation (or: an attempt at notation) from a German drummer magazine called "Sticks" ... I'll try to find it in my piles of mags floating around here. I'll scan it, if I can get my fingers on it.

And, welcome to the board!

Cheers!

• 8 years later...

Cheers!

Musically,

Juan Amalbert

Hi Juan,

you're right of course. I just took the first link that popped up. The clave is, for us Europeans, quite a complicated thing. It's the feel of it. I remember a (from Brazil) drummer I met not so long ago who basically said (I'm paraphrasing here):" You're not gonna get it anyways, so just drop it!"

The notation is just squeezed into a scheme most people here are familiar with, and I've seen it like this or similar many times. But if you don't know what it is, you're just gonna get a mechanical-sounding thingie that's about as far removed as possible.

I have one excellent notation (or: an attempt at notation) from a German drummer magazine called "Sticks" ... I'll try to find it in my piles of mags floating around here. I'll scan it, if I can get my fingers on it.

And, welcome to the board!

Cheers!

There is a new CD release of "MY People" by Duke Ellington, in the complete form 25 tracks.

Also there is another release of Duke Ellington's "The Jaywalker".

Both CD I composed the percussion parts for Ellington, at his request.

Please, read the notes on both CD's at it will explain how Ellington ask me to join his orchestra and do the percussion parts with his musics, in "clave".

Regards,

Juan Amalbert

a/k/a/

Emmanuel Abdul-Rahim

www.eastwestrecords.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found the forum while looking for unheard/undersung/neglected jazz records. I used to take part of the jazz forum on amazon, but got tired of the (surreal) bikering that often took place there. Glad to have found organissimo.

Simon