Tal Farlow Complete 1956 Private Recordings

DrJ

Without any recent, decent sounding U.S. issues of this material (and if I'm not mistaken these were kind of gray market recordings to begin with), I did what I normally would not do and went for the Definitive group's recent 2 CD issue of this material, THE COMPLETE 1956 PRIVATE RECORDINGS.

While the sound quality is not pristine, it is definitely more than listenable.

The music, on the other hand, is unqualified genius.

I don't want to deflate any bubbles related to the upcoming Farlow Mosaic, but as someone who has 90+% of the Verve material that will be in the box and loves it (Farlow ranks in my personal "big three" of jazz guitarists along with Grant Green and Jim Hall), I have to say that Farlow and Costa both in these private recordings with a creativity, abandon, and relaxed quality that they very seldom reached on those Verve studio sides. Thus my topic description above - I bought this as the appetizer for the Mosaic (which I'll still be pre-ordering, thank you), but it's so rich and satisfying it's really the main course.

The expanded track lengths are part of the issue, as these two improvising giants have adequate time to let their long flowing lines fully develop. But to me it's more a matter of circumstances - you can almost hear Farlow's relief at not being in front of a studio mike; he sounds, well, at home and in his natural element. Costa responds in kind, and of course Vinnie Burke is rock solid and mightily propulsive in support as always.

I had read similar opinions before but never quite believed them - figured it was just the mystique of these being private, sort of gray market recordings - but it's true, folks.

The only fly in the ointment for me is a slight nagging guilt about lining the pockets of the Definitive folks, whose business practices bother me in many ways. Still, they done good with this one, and if anyone in the U.S. ever gets off the stick and gets this material out in an even better sounding reissue, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat.

These are desert island recordings, some of the greatest jazz guitar you'll hear.

The only fly in the ointment for me is a slight nagging guilt about lining the pockets of the Definitive folks, whose business practices bother me in many ways.

So, like, you'll be making burns for everybody in the house to assuage your guilt?

THREE CHEERS FOR TONY!!!!

:g:g:g:g:g

One of my LP's has been out on loan since about 1937 :rolleyes: (I'm sure I'll get it back, though) :) So, I traded for a copy of the Xanadu/EPM CD version some years ago. Trouble is, there are only 6 tracks (they omitted one track from each album). I'll probably do what I always do... wait and pray for a used copy. :unsure:

Just the other day I (finally) picked up the CD versions of two Concords I hadn't spun in ages- A SIGN OF THE TIMES and CHROMATIC PALETTE. Talk about some advanced Tal! :tup

Speaking of Jim R's reference to "some very advanced Tal," I heard Farlow at a club in Chicago in the mid-1980s I think -- after the final Concord album was made I'm pretty sure -- and was astonished by what I heard. This was a whole other level of mental and physical agility; Tatum was the comparison that leapt to mind. In fact, in a longish life of listening, the only times I've ever felt that the sheer intensity of musical thought/execution was clear beyond my ability to grasp all that was going on in real time were recordings by Tatum, Bird, and this live Farlow. (Perhaps Cecil Taylor too, but Cecil's a somewhat different story.)

The only fly in the ointment for me is a slight nagging guilt about lining the pockets of the Definitive folks, whose business practices bother me in many ways.

In this case their business practice appears to be to release material that's not available elsewhere on CD. That's one business practice I can support guilt-free. ;)

I didn't realize that this is the "Feurst" and "Second Set" material. I do have these as mp3 downloads from emusic, but I haven't gotten around to listening to them. I'll have to remedy that toot sweet... B)

Just the other day I (finally) picked up the CD versions of two Concords I hadn't spun in ages- A SIGN OF THE TIMES and CHROMATIC PALETTE.  Talk about some advanced Tal!  :tup

Just gave Chromatic Palette a spin for the first time in about a year. Advanced indeed!