Artists Who Should Have Had a Mosaic...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie Costa

Complete recordings as a leader. Let's have it, Mosaic.

-The Quintet LP on Mode

-House of Blue Lights on Dot

-half of that LP with Rolf Kuhn/Mat? Matthews

-Eddie Costa with Vinnie Burke Trio on Jubilee

-A Pair of Pianos with John Mehgan and Vinnie Burke

-Guys and Dolls like Vibes which has been reissued domestically

Surely that is enough for at least a Select? YEs? :huh:

Arthur Blythe on Columbia. Eventually. And remastered - PLEASE.

I could only wish for that- Arthur Blythe did some excellent albums for Columbia then, like 'Lenox Ave. Breakdown', 'In the Tradition', and some titles with the tuba/alto/guitar/cello/drums group.

Duke Pearson: his entire BN output. (Yes, I know about the little box that they did put out.)

And all the Verves and Impulses by Gary McFarland, remastered by Malcolm Addey, of course. Possibly throw in the Skye albums, too. I've found his work very interesting recently, that is, the albums that I can get. Some are only available as used LPs, and it's slow going obtaining them. This would never get past Michael Cuscuna, I imagine.

Eddie Costa

Complete recordings as a leader. Let's have it, Mosaic.

-The Quintet LP on Mode

-House of Blue Lights on Dot

-half of that LP with Rolf Kuhn/Mat? Matthews

-Eddie Costa with Vinnie Burke Trio on Jubilee

-A Pair of Pianos with John Mehgan and Vinnie Burke

-Guys and Dolls like Vibes which has been reissued domestically

Surely that is enough for at least a Select? YEs? :huh:

HELLYEAH!

That would be sort of a dream come true, I guess...

Then, the Farlow has lots of Costa included, too, which is not a bad thing.

ubu

And how about reissuing the rest of the Kenton Presents dates? The Salvador, the Claude Williamson - are there more? Best would be to have a complete Kenton Presents Select, that would inlcude parts of the existing KP set, as well as the Chaloff, as well as the two I mentioned, as well as others, if there are.

They will never do this, I'm afraid, as too much has been part of any of their boxes already.

Wonder why they wouldn't make the Kenton Presents set a bit bigger and include the rest, too...

ubu

Arthur Blythe on Columbia. Eventually. And remastered - PLEASE.

I could only wish for that- Arthur Blythe did some excellent albums for Columbia then, like 'Lenox Ave. Breakdown', 'In the Tradition', and some titles with the tuba/alto/guitar/cello/drums group.

Blythe's Light Blue on Columbia is also a good one, sound on my LP is a little one dimensional though

No love here for a Jimmy Lunceford set?

ubu

Oh yes, there is love for it! ^_^ That band just plain rocked!

Someone else from the same era that is taken for granted IMO is Benny Carter! How about a set of his late 20's thru Europe in the 30's??? Lets face it a fair number here don't dig into the early days of jazz, unless it is a mosaic....

Edited by BERIGAN

Lets face it a fair number here don't dig into the early days of jazz, unless it is a mosaic....

You just hit it on the nose, Berigan! Give them OLD VINTAGE JAZZ!!!! B)

And what about a Complete King Oliver?

Or a compilation of 20´s, 30´s and 40´s Territory Bands? (I love that Frog release!)

ubu

Someone else from the same era that is taken for granted IMO is Benny Carter! How about a set of his late 20's thru Europe in the 30's??? Lets face it a fair number here don't dig into the early days of jazz, unless it is a mosaic....

The lamented Masters of Jazz label from France had both Benny Carter and Jimmie Lunceford series in their releases.

The Lunceford series went to volume 7 at least and reached the year 1940 to include all the pre-1940 Decca sides.

The Carters series reached vol. 9 up to 1939.

And their CDs were complete and pretty well remastered.

ubu

The lamented Masters of Jazz label from France had both Benny Carter and Jimmie Lunceford series in their releases.

The Lunceford series went to volume 7 at least and reached the year 1940 to include all the pre-1940 Decca sides.

The Carters series reached vol. 9 up to 1939.

And their CDs were complete and pretty well remastered.

If only I had known them back when they were available... Though, on second thought: so glad I didn't know them, I couldn't have afforded all the discs, anyway...

ubu :(

How about the Complete Tubby Hayes Fontana Studio Recordings. As the Live at Scott's dates on Red!al are somewhat available I'd really like to see that offered as the rehashed Japonez discs are so darn pricey and so limited that a full size Mosaic would do the trick. Set up some off-shore distribution to keep the drool down in the UK. And I think some people might buy it!

"He scared me to death" - Ronnie Scott

Tubbs In NY

Return Visit

Equation in Rhythm (select tracks)

Tubbs

Tubbs Tours

100 % Proof

Mexican Green

Then how about a decent and complete collection of the early Decca sides by Lunceford?

Actually I think it would be important to include the 40s Decca sessions. There are several tracks from those years that remain unissued, and a Mosaic set might be the only way to ever get them out. For example, Lunceford only cut two sessions in 1945 for Decca, four tunes on each session, and still only two from each were ever issued. Clearly Decca had lost interest in Lunceford by that time, so no wonder that Lunceford switched label affiliation after that year.

If Lord is correct, there were also sessions in the mid-40s for World Transcriptions, from which some tracks were issued on Decca and others not. Classics only included those that were on Decca. It would be nice to have them all.

By the way, although it hasn’t anything to do with Decca, there are plenty of live sessions from the mid-40s, which featured many tunes they didn’t record commercially, and I think very little of it has come out on CD. Someone should do them. Lunceford is getting neglected these days.

Then how about a decent and complete collection of the early Decca sides by Lunceford?

Actually I think it would be important to include the 40s Decca sessions. There are several tracks from those years that remain unissued, and a Mosaic set might be the only way to ever get them out. For example, Lunceford only cut two sessions in 1945 for Decca, four tunes on each session, and still only two from each were ever issued. Clearly Decca had lost interest in Lunceford by that time, so no wonder that Lunceford switched label affiliation after that year.

If Lord is correct, there were also sessions in the mid-40s for World Transcriptions, from which some tracks were issued on Decca and others not. Classics only included those that were on Decca. It would be nice to have them all.

By the way, although it hasn’t anything to do with Decca, there are plenty of live sessions from the mid-40s, which featured many tunes they didn’t record commercially, and I think very little of it has come out on CD. Someone should do them. Lunceford is getting neglected these days.

Sounds reasonable. I'm the lucky owner of the Colubmia 4LP set (found it used, it's in ok shape, but far from perfect). Collecting as much as could be done would be the best - Decca, Columbia, Decca again... and and accompanying Select with airchecks...