Solo act: Navratilova, 47, wins at Wimbledon

After warm welcome, Navratilova takes charge

ESPN.com news services

WIMBLEDON, England -- Just like old times.

Nine-time champion Martina Navratilova returned to Wimbledon for her first singles match in 10 years Monday -- and looked as if she's never been away.

Serving and volleying in classic grass-court style, the 47-year-old Navratilova crushed Colombia's Catalina Castano 6-0, 6-1 in 46 minutes in a rain-interrupted early match on the opening day of the 118th edition of the Grand Slam tournament.

It was a big turnaround from Navratilova's singles appearance last month at the French Open, where she lost in straight sets in the first round to Gisela Dulko.

"It's great to be out there, great to have that opportunity," Navratilova said. "When people say, 'Why are you doing it?' I guess the answer is, because I still can, bottom line."

Turning to critics who thought she couldn't be competitive again, she said, "You guys didn't believe me. Now do you believe me?"

Navratilova also had pointed words for those who questioned whether she deserves to be granted wild cards at the expense of younger players.

"Are they still saying it?" she said. "I don't think so."

There have been three disruptions in opening-day play because of showers. The forecast calls for intermittent rain until midweek.

Granted a wild card entry last week, Navratilova was back in her element on her favorite grass surface at the club where she made her debut 31 years ago. Winner of six straight titles from 1982-87, she hadn't played singles at Wimbledon since losing in the 1994 final to Conchita Martinez.

After receiving a warm ovation from the crowd on Court 2, known as the "graveyard of champions," Navratilova took charge immediately. She played a style rarely seen in tennis these days: She served and volleyed from the first point, she chipped and charged on the returns, she hit for angles rather than power.

Castano, ranked No. 102 and playing only her second match at the All England Club, looked tight facing a Wimbledon legend and put up little resistance until late in the match.

"It's almost like playing my mom," said Castano, whose mother is 50.

Navratilova was up 5-0 after just 16 minutes when the match was stopped by rain. Further rain was forecast for later in the day as well as during much of the first week.

After a 40-minute break, Navratilova picked up where she left off, breaking for the first set and racing to a 5-0 lead in the second. Castano finally picked up her game, breaking for 5-1 and forcing a break point in the next game. It took Navratilova five match points before she finally closed out the contest.

"It's nice when the biggest applause is when my opponent wins one game," she said. "I just let up a little bit. It's nice to be pushed a little bit at the end. You can only play as well as your opponent."

Navratilova flashed a big smile and lifted her racket in the air as she sat on her chair, then stood up and applauded the crowd. She held up a clenched fist as she left the court.

Former two-time champion Venus Williams started her bid for a third Wimbledon title with an emphatic 6-3, 6-0 victory over Marie-Gayanay Mikaelian of Switzerland.

Williams used her heavy serve to dominate her 20-year-old opponent, ranked 106th. She had to save break points before wrapping up the first set on serve but whizzed through the second set in only 22 minutes to secure victory in drizzling rain on Court 1.

Venus' sister, two-time defending champion Serena, begins Tuesday against China's Zheng Jie. It's been a year since Serena won a Grand Slam title. She could become only the third woman in the past 35 years to win three consecutive Wimbledon championships.

Venus won the women's title in 2000 and 2001 but has been runner-up to her sister Serena in each of the last two finals.

Information from The Associated Press and Reuters was used in this report.

Well, for a wild card entrant, Martina couldn't dream of a better opponent-a South American clay court player who thinks grass is made for picnics. Against a legend, who's surprised she'd choke?

Nevertheless, nice to see the old girl competing. Too bad the odds are huge against her having a tournament like 38 year old Jimmy Connors had at the Open in, what was it, '92?

This is great. She was the master at Wimbledon when she was in her prime. Grass is her best surface. Getting past the first round is good since every tournament she has entered so far this year in the singles category she has lost in the first round. Go Martina! :D

go Russia go!

waitaminute, she got to represent the USofA didn't she?

always pretty when the land of the free takes some successful sportspeople on board :tup:w

too much irony these days fer sure... -_-

Actually, all I was thinking of was that she is OLD and because of that fact, an underdog....Even when I could claim to be young, always liked it when an older athlete could beat back time, and a younger opponent...

Actually, all I was thinking of was that she is OLD and because of that fact, an underdog....Even when I could claim to be young, always liked it when an older athlete could beat back time, and a younger opponent...

I resent those insinuations about us veterans. Don't call us OLD, call us vintage!

It's like wine: the older, the better :P

Go, Martina, go!

That's a really hard choice, simply because Martina's greatest challenger, Chrissie, wasn't the athlete that the Williams sisters each are, and she didn't hit nearly as hard as the Williams do. The more interesting matchup might be Martina Hingis vs Martina, because Hingis' game was very much like Everet's.

But I would have to say that at their best, both Williams probably beat Martina, but Martina would win her share too, because I think her attacking style would lead to errors and frustration.

As interesting as it is to ponder that possibility, is to consider what game the Williams sisters would play, had they come up in the wood racquet era. They'd both be big hitters still, because that's what their Dad taught-but the lightness and power of today's racquets has a lot to do with the power of the women's game.

As interesting as it is to ponder that possibility, is to consider what game the Williams sisters would play, had they come up in the wood racquet era. They'd both be big hitters still, because that's what their Dad taught-but the lightness and power of today's racquets has a lot to do with the power of the women's game.

Amen. Tennis today is unwatchable to me, simply because of the equipment. It's a shame that tennis didn't take charge of the equipment angle the way golf has always done for that sport.

Martina had every right to give it a shot. The fact that she bowed out early says good things about the current state of womens tennis which, anymore, I find considerably more interesting than the fellas. I wish I could say otherwise--no disrespect to the ladies--only because I miss the rivalries of the 70's and 80's. Even Agassi/Sampras was interesting in the 90's but nothing like that is going on anymore...