Slide Hampton, where to start?

Hardbopjazz

Brownie:

Perhaps you thought/wrote "silver Salvation" under the influence of Williams Jennings Bryan's "Cross of Gold" speech? (I think it was recorded in a recreation by Bryon years later.)

No, that's not it. But I would have plenty to tell a shrink about this slip if I saw one. Don't fell the need to B)

A better edit could fixed this!

Edited by brownie

My website has a complete discography of Slide. URL below.

I love the Octet - my favorite could well be the Two Sides of Slide album on Charlie Parker, now on 2-fer CD with the Strand album Horn of Plenty.

That Mellow-dy cheapie CD is quite good - at $5 or so, I've picked up several and passed them on to friends.

Mike

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

or the Curtis Fuller 'Two Bones' BN album where Slide Hampton confronts his skills with Fuller. The rhythm section was Sonny Clark, George Tucker, Charles Persip.

This has not been reissued since its original release in Japan in 1980. That LP listed Al Harewood instead of Persip as the drummer.

The session was included in the Fuller Mosaic but it could stand a fresher reissue.

or the Curtis Fuller 'Two Bones' BN album where Slide Hampton confronts his skills with Fuller. The rhythm section was Sonny Clark, George Tucker, Charles Persip.

This has not been reissued since its original release in Japan in 1980. That LP listed Al Harewood instead of Persip as the drummer.

The session was included in the Fuller Mosaic but it could stand a fresher reissue.

I have the Japanese LP and it's been a favorite of mine over the years. Didn't think to mention it because it's only been available on that LP and as part of the Mosaic box, and both are long out of print. brownie is right. Blue note should do a reissue - it's a fine session.

• 11 months later...

I'm bringing this thread up because I wanted to start a thread on Slide's arranging skills, but thought I'd extend this one.

I put on Junior Cook's "Good Cookin'" (now part of 32 Jazz's "Senior Cookin'"). Without checking the liner notes, I could immediately tell Slide's arranging - he has a distinctive sound, one that I really dig. Tight, solid arrangements of the head, but leaving lots of room for blowing. And, refreshingly, he doesn't call attention to himself.

Another date in this league is Dexter's "A Day in Copenhagen." Does anyone else have favorites of Slide's arranging?

Some of the very best writing is for the Slide Hampton Octet, back in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Amazingly, all of their albums but one have made it to CD. The basic concept of the group was 2 trumpets, 2 saxophones, 2 trombones, 2 rhythm. Slide could make this sound like a big band and there was always plenty of solo space because it really *wasn't* a big band. The Fresh Sound CD that combines "Horn Of Plenty" and "Two Sides Of Slide" is magnificent.

Of course, at the same time, Slide was working with Maynard Ferguson, whose band was a bit bigger (but still not a full big band): 4 trumpets, 4 saxophones, 2 trombones, 3 rhythm. Some of the same pieces were in the books of both.

Mike

BTW, the Octet sometimes wasn't an Octet, strictly speaking. Added trumpet, tuba, piano, percussion, etc.