Slide Hampton, where to start?

Hardbopjazz

You might be able to find a cheap copy of "Exodus", an album that was part of the recent Jazz in Paris series. Great sidemen, there, too, such as couw's favourite trumpet player Richard Williams, Sangrey's favourite tenor man George Coleman (you know, that's that Alexander-clone guy... :g )

A fun disc, for sure!

ubu

A Slide Hampton session I've enjoyed over the years is World of Trombones (now on a Black Lion CD). It's Slide Hampton leading a nine trombone choir accompanied by a rhythm section. Perhaps not typical Slide Hampton, but it's a good listen.

If you read the Penguin Guide to Jazz, you'll see it only merits a so-so rating. My ears tell me otherwise, and I always trust my ears over their words.

If you read the Penguin Guide to Jazz, you'll see it only merits a so-so rating. My ears tell me otherwise, and I always trust my ears over their words.

Who wouldn't trust their own ears?

Heck, I'd trust your ears ahead of theirs almost any day of the week.

Slide's one in the "Americans in Paris" (EMI France) set is excellent- I forget its title but it's raw and powerful. :g

I think that's the EXODUS side. EX-cellent stuff!

I'm really fond of this one too:

g16521xinzr.jpg

Check out the lineup: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=U...l=Aitf3zfj7eh5k

Dexter's A DAY IN COPENHAGEN & Mobley's THE FLIP are both sideman dates that dhow him to good advantage.

And as far as his writing goes, sometimes it gets a little heavy-handed for my tastes, but sometimes not. Dexter's SOPHISTICATED GIANT might be a good place to start, aside from his own dates.

There's a Fresh Sounds issue that couples his Strand & Charlie Parker Records dates that is pretty good too. You get Booker Little, George Coleman, Freddie Hubbard, and others on there. Pretty decent stuff!

Slide's one in the "Americans in Paris" (EMI France)  set is excellent- I forget its title but it's raw and powerful.  :g

I think that's the EXODUS side. EX-cellent stuff!

wrong series ( Exodus is in the JiP series from Universal)

the one I'm thinking of has Joakim Kuhn thundering away on the piano and if I remember correctly Jenny-Clarke on bass

I'm lukewarm on "Sister Salvation," but the "Exodus" title is very good. My favorite - and a good deal - is the "Collectables" "two-fer" of "Jazz With a Twist" and "Explosion" - similar set-up to "Salvation"' but (to my ears) livelier.

More on the Americans Swinging in Paris releases here.

I don't own any so far, but I've had an earful of the Hampton at a store once, and I did like what I heard!

B000065BS8.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Slide Hampton - tb

Joachim Kühn - p

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen - b

Philly Joe Jones - d

Can't link directly to the album, as it's one of those stupid flash sites.

Here's the Exodus cover:

B000051TKG.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ubu

I'm lukewarm on "Sister Salvation," but the "Exodus" title is very good. My favorite - and a good deal - is the "Collectables" "two-fer" of "Jazz With a Twist" and "Explosion" - similar set-up to "Salvation"' but (to my ears) livelier.

As I'm already at it:

B00004XSIN.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005LZPK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

No one mentioned this so far:

B00000JKHG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ubu

You might be able to find a cheap copy of "Exodus", an album that was part of the recent Jazz in Paris series. Great sidemen, there, too, such as couw's favourite trumpet player Richard Williams, Sangrey's favourite tenor man George Coleman (you know, that's that Alexander-clone guy... :g )

A fun disc, for sure!

ubu

Just picked this up at a half-off sale!

None of the octet recordings will disappoint but for my money it has to be "Exodus" by a nose followed by "Sister Salvation".

Fresh Sound have a two lps on one cd of rarer items by the octet but on my copy the music has been transferred from lp and it shows.

The sound on the "Americans Swinging In Paris" cd has a dreadful accoustic spoiling what could have been an interesting date.

The sound on the "Americans Swinging In Paris" cd has a dreadful accoustic spoiling what could have been an interesting date.

I used some tracks of this series on my BFT and did some level correction in a wav editor. These are all extremely clipped, resulting in a very harsh, very brittle sound. Someone gave up a lot on sound quality for gain in volume.