Adderley's "Somethin' Else"

Hardbopjazz

I have the RVG of this session. Yesterday, I was browsing through the jazz session at Boarders and was looking at this CD and notice it had a different track selection. My copy has "Alison's Uncle" and the copy at boarders had a different 6th track. I don't remember the name, only that it was a Hank Jone's tune. Why the change?

There was no info in the session log and someone thought the title "Allison's Uncle" up. Allison, Nat Adderley's daughter, was born that day. Turns out it's actually "Bangoon" as performed by the Jazz Lab quintet a year earlier.

BTW, your mixing things up it seems. The RVG has "Bangoon," the older domestic release has "Allison's Uncle."

The sixth track (not included in the original LP) was titled 'Allison's Uncle' when it was released for the first time (on a Japanese LP) and in later editions.

It has been given its correct title 'Bangoon' in the latest editions of this classic.

I have this on Japanese CD from the mid 80s, the back of the CD case is a faded yellow with Japanese writing only, the sound is out of this world.

It was the first BN Cd or lP I ever got and I still love it :wub::wub:

Edited by Clunky

Even without particularly being a fan of Cannonball or Miles, I love this record! It is a classic of the music, and certainly one of the best BNs.

:tup

Wow, not even couw went out on a limb like that and declared himself not a fan of either Miles OR Cannonball. ;)

:g