The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just received this this morning from Spin Records. Sounds like the foot draggers among us will have to look elsewhere for our fix.

Hi, thanks for the enquiry. Unfortunately as thing stand at the moment we

have full capacity on our pre-orders. We are trying to secure extra copies

from the 'Dead' but at the moment this looks unlikely. Keep an eye on

spincds.com for any further developments.

Many Thanks Steve@Spin

Up over and out.

I, too am glad that someone started the Dead Thread.

My taste for the band has always been quite narrow: I love the sprawling psychedelia of 1968-1970.  I do not own any of the studio albums, just a couple of the legit live releases and several CD-rs of live material downloaded from various places.  A couple of goldmines in particular:

4-22-69  The second set here is exquisite.  The Mountains of the Moon transitions into Dark Star in a smooth, subtle way.  Jerry jams at the end of mountains first on acoustic, and switches to electric, and finally moves into Dark Star for about 1/2 hour.

4-21-69 & 1-20-68  This is two shows, with the second being short, incomplete and filler.  All that said, 1-20-68 is quite nearly my favorite.  Clementine is the pinnacle of swirling psychedelic ecstasy for me.

Other shows can be found at the main level of that site.

Dark Star is my absolute favorite.  I listen to Jerry's guitar playing and I try to figure out where all of the ideas come from.  You can easily pass over some of it as noodling, and granted there were not always on, but much of that is pure beauty.  I hear some of his bluegrass roots, but he brings something original to the table as well.

Phil Lesh's bass playing during these years sound as if he is playing regular guitar on the bass, at least part of the time.  It is as if he is not part of the rhythm section, but rather part of the front line.

Live / Dead is a fave! :tup

Does ANYONE out there no where I can find a download of 8/27/72 or somehow or other acquire it? I am so hungry to hear this show again! I lost all my bootleg collection in the hurricane...

And anyway that's probably most important show to me. Really its the most beautiful music I've ever heard and I am so hungry for it i can almost taste it. Please if you know where I can find it post the link and I'll be eternally grateful. Thanks.

Does ANYONE out there no where I can find a download of 8/27/72 or somehow or other acquire it?  I am so hungry to hear this show again!  I lost all my bootleg collection in the hurricane...

And anyway that's probably most important show to me.  Really its the most beautiful music I've ever heard and I am so hungry for it i can almost taste it.  Please if you know where I can find it post the link and I'll be eternally grateful.  Thanks.

Try GDLive, which has the show for download in shorten (shn) format (lossless compression):

http://www.gdlive.com

Edited by gdogus

Wow. www.jerrygarcia.com has lots of new info. New DVD of the Garcia Band at Shoreline (I'm not collecting music DVDs but looks nice!)

Upcoming this week is the first of the Legion of Mary releases (with exclusive third disc) AND coming next month is a two cd set (with an exclusive third disc) of "Garcia Plays Dylan" which looks nice! http://www.jerrygarciastore.com/dylancollectedart/

Hope all of you had a great birthday!

I've been listening to Dick's Picks Vol. 14 a few times over the weekend and this week. Man, I like these two shows! There are instances on both shows where the vocal mikes aren't balanced well, but otherwise I think the sound is very vivid and dimensional. And there are great performances here. . . . Jerry's (then very new) Alembic guitar really sounds great and he seems to be really having fun playing and is quite inventive. Godchaux too (Keith that is, Donna Jean is not present, she's having the baby) seems to be really thinking and making great contributions.

Guest akanalog

i remember driving to long island to some crappy store callled prime cuts or something when i was in college and they sold hissy noise reduced tapes of live jamband shows and buying a tape of one of these dicks picks 14 shows. havent listened in years-the one with the mind left body jam. think it's 12/2. that was a great second set. something that bothered me was the inevability of the "tiger" buildup. always the same peak to the real out jams with some autowah abuse. i think keith actually touches the e-piano during this mind left body jam.

where is there a great one? is it 12/6 coming fast out of dark star?

9.21.72 = DP36!!!!

MONSTER SHOW!!

Oh my, they're hitting the hard stuff I see. That's a big one alright. No doubt about it, I may already have "crispy" soundboard CDRs with a colorful cover on photo paper in a quad case, but to get this baby in HDCD all gussied up...<wolf whistle>

Mmm, mmm, mmm! - I'll be placing an order! This will be the 3rd September '72 DP and there are still some great dates left (like 9/28.)