The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been listening to the 3 CD set plus the bonus disc that I received from GDstore and it's great! The sound is fabulous and listening closely to the songs gives me a new appreciation of this time period with the Dead. Again the sound is so pristine! :tup:tup

Still lamenting missing out on the 10 disc box set.

Maybe one day I'll find it!!!!!......... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just got the confirmation that my order shipped today!!

Has anyone checked out the Dead Ahead DVD??? Thoughts??

Haven't picked it up but I always loved the acoustic portion that I had on tape, especially the "Bird Song."

The place to get the DVD would be deepdiscountdvd. Enter SUPERSALE in the coupon box will get you the DVD for $11.97. Sale is good until November 19th. Shipping is free (you can pay if you want it to arrive sooner.)

Dead DVDs before the 20% off is taken off at deepdiscountdvd.

Now that this set is in the mail, I think those who were smart enough to order it when it was first made available should be forced to communicate about it's merits via some sort of PM network. This would relieve the idiots among us who waited too long to pull the trigger from being reminded over and over of our collective stupidity. It's the least you can do.

Up over and out.

Having heard these sets over the years--albeit in less than pristine sound quality, and with a few cuts and glitches--I already knew that this was lightning in a jar. But this is now so clean, lean, and mean! I just listened to the DS from 2-28. Still as good as it gets. There are some weaker moments--it's not all A+++++, but it is still a snapshot of that incarnation at its peak. BTW, there's one on Ebay with to days to go that hasn't broken $150 yet.

Then there will be the black market, always the black market--but maybe some b&ps as well. Who knows?

meanwhile, don't pass up on DP 36.

My set is due today too. . . .

If only I could stay home!  But alas it's not to be.

Fortunately, I own the place, and my employees are dead heads. It's like christmas carols, only better.

"Dark Star crashes" the psychedellic answer to "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

T.C. is the one who put them over the top psychedellicaly--though he didn't take LSD. On the early Dark Stars, Pigpen plays a simple riff over and over--which sometimes adds to the mix, but often detracts from liftoff. His colors and textures were often subtle, but his classical training and penchant for musicians like Steve Reich taught the rest of the band about the art of sound. Just as Godcheaux help the group into a jazz sensibility, T.C. propelled them into an almost medieval world. When you listen to the box set, you'll have a hankering for meade and a slab of meat!

But, ten again, as sitters on the "hot seat" came and went, the music changed and developed. Nothing wrong with that!

Fortunately, I own the place, and my employees are dead heads.

Ha ha - too freaking bad if they're not, hey? :D

I only hire the best--then we eliminate the boss employee bullshit and everybody smiles. Sometimes I smell a funny sweet rope like smell from behind the woodshed . . . .

I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I opted for the package where you get the Filmore set, the "Dead Ahead" DVD and Dick's Picks 36. All are wonderful, and the bonus discs are great too. For me, the Filmore set is a revelation. "Live Dead," great as it is, only hints at the full range of the band during this incarnation. This set delivers. I wish I had been able to order the full 10-CD set when it was available! Hopefully, some will become available (used) in the future. That way, someone else's loss will be my gain.

The Dick's Picks set is a real treat. It's a four CD set from September of '72. The show itself is four and a half to five hours (the box includes three songs from another '72 show) and they do EVERYTHING. They do "China Cat Sunflower." They do "Dark Star." They do "Cumberland Blues." They do "Truckin'." They do "Bird Song." And "Sugar Magnolia." Pretty much everything a Dead fan could have hoped to hear on a September night in '72! Amazing stuff! Has anyone else picked this up yet?