The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

really wanted to but the whole ticket thing, its very exclusive, even w/ 60k a night or whatever, even if i were to try my hand tmw morn on ticketmaster, prob wont win, its like the freakin merryweather/paciao fight. hoping for a HQ online feed at this point. but last summer, bobby singing 4 ft from me, i could see the whites in his eyes, i was standing right in front of him

Edited by chewy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Next Dave's Picks: Academy of Music, NYC, 3/26/72:

081227956547_dp14_cover_640x640.jpg?1429

Got it today. The bonus disc has tracks from 3/27/72 and 3/21/72.

On a different note, WSJ reported that there will be pay per view broadcasts of the final gigs; details to follow.

Went to the Meet Up at the Movies last night. Wonderful, as usual. Very high energy, driving performance; you really got a sense of Jerry enjoying being a rock star. The video feed seemed different than the other concerts of that era featured in the View From The Vault series. The stage was very dark, with generally only the singer being spot-lit. Surprisingly, the video feed did not include any of the trippy video effects so common in the VFTV concerts. Phil did Box of Rain to open the second set (this is the version included in "Fallout From The Phil Zone"). Sound quality was great, in a "stadium show" kind of way - a very different listening experience than listening at home. Makes me wish they do one of the Chicago shows as a broadcast to theaters. One thing that was apparent was how much Jerry enjoyed Brent's playing. All in all, a very strong show.

Edited by mjzee

Glad you enjoyed it. I went to the meet up where they played the Grateful Dead Movie back when I was in Austin. The sound in the theater was AWFUL. Edgy, bright, thin, all the worst aspects of digital sound. I had a much better experience watching the DVD or Blu-ray at home. Kept me away from future viewings.

• 4 weeks later...

Got an extra $700 laying around?

It will finally come out on September 18th as part of the largest box of live Dead ever officially released: Thirty Trips Around the Sun, a 50th anniversary monument of 80 CDs with 30 complete, previously unissued shows, one from each year of the Dead's touring life. The collection – issued by Rhino in the wake of the Dead's "Fare Thee Well" shows at Chicago's Soldier Field on July 3rd through 5th – is now available for pre-order and is limited to 6,500 numbered sets.

Nice idea, but I'm just not that interested in anything beyond '78. Maybe they'll relase these separately in time as they did with the '72 box.

Same here save for some of the fine stuff from 1980.

I probably have enough very good live Grateful Dead recordings to last me forever but there are a few from 1970 and 19731974 that havn't been issued or I havn't bought that I would like to hear.

I cannot and will not get caught up in the insanity of getting so much music that I'll never be able to listen to all of it.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

Me too. . . but I'm hungry for anything from the first three years or so. . . they probably have some stuff they can whip out. . . there's probably not much demand for the earliest stuff though, but I find that stuff fascinating.