Ever not check out a thread cuz it's too big???

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing, as a mostly-lurker here, that I've never understood, is why the avant-garde (or whatever you want to call it) seems so centered on one thread. I know a lot of posters here (like myself) made their way from the BNBB, but the sheer length of it suggests that there's a lot of interest in it, and it could "infect" the rest of the board a little more.

That's my 2c, without actually doing anything about it... :P

What chuckyd4 said.

Certainly I have a "vested interest" but it's all "emotional", not financial.

Where is the Morris thread (bunch to choose from), the Charles Tyler thread, the Charles Brackeen thread, the Ted Brown thread, the Don Bennett thread, the Hank Crawford thread, the etc?

BUT we have a very active thread about the changes in the printing of the RVG series! Anyone wanting to know the "probable" reason for the label change, email me.

Reality check, people:

One thing, as a mostly-lurker here, that I've never understood, is why the avant-garde (or whatever you want to call it) seems so centered on one thread. I know a lot of posters here (like myself) made their way from the BNBB, but the sheer length of it suggests that there's a lot of interest in it, and it could "infect" the rest of the board a little more.

You're correct, of course. But then this was our way to do it - as not too many people seemed to be willing to start those threads that Chuck mentions (and dozens of others, of course). Then it just turned out we'd stick to it and it grew like mad - others jumped in and out, and as others have said already, are always welcome.

For one thing, when you do talk about Free-Jazz, or A/G on other threads, you get a bunch of people who always grip about how "That's not jazz, it's just noise!" I, for one, am just damn tired of that act, so I don't even bother to talk about the kind of jazz I mostly listen to on anything but the "Funny Rat" thread.

Guest Chaney

The Rat began on November 7, 2003, with my letting folks know of the release of a rare Brotzmann side. Read the first page (the first page! read the first two posts!) and note how little attention my thread received. (Bless you Hans!)

Three weeks passed before the thread was resurrected by then new member David (Д.Д. - an M.V.P. from that other board) and his bringing to this board a little e-mail group made up of a few Big 'O' members and some new friends. (David's e-mail box was getting FAT so we needed new digs!) Picking right up where we left off, the Rat became our new home and the banter continued. (Read page one and you'll see the greetings.) For the most part, the most active posters within that thread are the members of the e-mail group. The mission ( :rolleyes: ) of the group was to simply make recommendations of recordings of non-traditional forms of jazz and especially to discover heretofor unknown (and usually tiny) labels.

I too have worried that the Funny Rat may have become a ghetto for that other jazz but I then remind myself of the fate of threads dedicated to jazz which may not swing in the traditional manner: they tend to sink like stones.

I'll sometimes start a new thread if I suspect there to be interest (Vandermark, Jimmy Lyons), otherwise the conversation continues.

Perhaps the Funny Rat should be made a forum? I know this: I've spent more time reading that thread than any of the other stuff in Recommendations/New Issues/Reissues. Maybe not combined, but it's probably close. I like the stuff being all on one thread myself, because it's easy to find and easy to learn from. And believe it or not, that's still why I'm here. Well, that and boosting my post count.

For one thing, when you do talk about Free-Jazz, or A/G on other threads, you get a bunch of people who always grip about how "That's not jazz, it's just noise!" I, for one, am just damn tired of that act, so I don't even bother to talk about the kind of jazz I mostly listen to on anything but the "Funny Rat" thread.

I guess that's why I added my little tongue in cheek last sentence. Though my not starting other threads has more to do with my lack of time than any lack of interest or motivation. Hmmm.... maybe I'll kick my ass into gear a little more to try to add some more to this board.

On the topic, everyone watch out for Dom Minasi's next release: an organ group that's going to knock you on your proverbial ass.

Guest Chaney

Perhaps the Funny Rat should be made a forum?...

A Funny Rat forum? Interesting idea. But why spoil a good thing? (I too like the homey, everyone-in-one-room feel of the thread. Very cozy but hopefully not seen as exclusionary.)

The reason I avoid the Funny Rat thread is not because of lack of merit or interest it's primarily a time issue for me. Same for the political thread. There are many interesting articles posted but some seem so excruiatingly long that sometimes I avoid them because of time constraints. It really just depends on how much time I have to check them out.

Hmmm. A thread about another thread. Verrrry interesting but isn't that a bit redundant? (Said with a German accent, a pith helmet, and cigarette.) :ph34r:

king ubu, having been the real hero of the polish wars in the end of 19c preferrs a slighlty olderr modell:

333%20saxon%20spike0009.jpg

completely original WW1 Imperial Saxon enlisted spike helmet

ubu :ph34r:

Hmmm. A thread about another thread. Verrrry interesting but isn't that a bit redundant? (Said with a German accent, a pith helmet, and cigarette.) :ph34r:

Hmmm. Eine Diskussion über eine andere Diskussion. Äußerst fesselnd, aber ist das nicht ein wenig überflüssig?

kaiser.jpg

What if we start a third thread about this thread, which is about that other thread? A sort of meta-meta-thread?

Hmmm.  A thread about another thread.  Verrrry interesting but isn't that a bit redundant? (Said with a German accent, a pith helmet, and cigarette.) :ph34r:

What if we start a third thread about this thread, which is about that other thread? A sort of meta-meta-thread?

Uh, leave me alone with this intellectual garbage! :g

king ubu, ph.d. in pataphysics :angry:

Hmmm.  A thread about another thread.  Verrrry interesting but isn't that a bit redundant? (Said with a German accent, a pith helmet, and cigarette.) :ph34r:

Hmmm. Eine Diskussion über eine andere Diskussion. Äußerst fesselnd, aber ist das nicht ein wenig überflüssig?

kaiser.jpg

Is this German for "I liked 'Laugh-In' too"? I was hoping my attempt at humor wouldn't be misconstrued as a slam on Germans and instead taken for what it is--a mediocre imitation of one of Arte Johnson's old bits on the anciently defunct Laugh-In show. No offense intended.