Mosaic Madness

Most of Mosiacs are Blue Note sets (and nearly all of them are of material from the 60's B) ). The only non-BN set I have is the Gerald Wilson box.

Oh, man----Rooster, you've GOT to get the Gerald Wilson! You would just love it, I know you would! (Well, most of it.)

Seriously, I think the only Mosaic I bought without some familiarity with the music/artist involved was maybe the Sam Rivers. Even with Bud Shank I'd heard some of his work on a few of the West Coast Classics re-issues.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you do when you acquire more black Mosaic boxes than available Mosaic-storage space?  :huh:

:o

Oh, that's an easy one!

Simply follow these easy instructions:

1) Place all original Mosaic CDs in their original Mosaic cases.

2) Place all original Mosaic cases in their original black Mosaic boxes.

3) Place all original Mosaic booklets in their original black Mosaic boxes.

4) PM me for the appropriate shipping address.

5) Ship Mosaic boxes.

6) Sleep better at night knowing they will be given a good home.

:w;)

I still have all the original Mosaic sales receipts. I wonder if I should place the receipts in the Mosaic boxes as well?

I keep them Mosaic invoices and receipts in an exclusive and properly labelled file to ensure they are within easy reach (in case I want to admire them once in a while -_- ). All invoice and receipts are kept in pristine/mint condition. I'd never place them in the box cause that would entail dirtying the box with fingerprints. ;)

I made some room in my spare closet to store my Mosaics. I wonder if it's better to store the boxes vertically or horizontally? I thought the horizontal method would be better for protecting the narrow ends of the boxes. However, the way I have them, currently, places more pressure on the boxes on the bottom. Also, it makes it more difficult to access the boxes at the bottom of the stack.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard that stacking them horizontally isn't good. Someone mentioned that here. Mine are all vertical. I think it's the same principle with lps. You want them veritical. Which remnds me of a funny line. In New York there used to be a trendy gym (I think it's still around although I'm not sure it's trendy anymore) called the Vertical Club. People would say that you go to the Vertical Club to get horizontal. :g

Actually in retrospect, I feel a bit sorry for the younger or newcomers to this wonderful Jazz addiction. There is so much temptation out there.

No kidding!

Only recently has my focus of music collecting gone from rock to jazz. I've just discovered Mosaic this summer and have been ordering stuff by artists I never heard before. Unfortunately, I like all of it. The only music I don't like is some of the Ellington Reprise stuff (though of course I was familiar with Duke's better material) and the first New Orleans session. But I'm lovin' the George Shearing, Buck Clayton, and Teddy Wilson.

My Mosaic buying right now is purely based on grabbing up what appears on the Running Low/Last Chance lists and whatever OOP stuff I can get on ebay. It adds a wonderful element of surprise and discovery to my music collecting and listening when I'm not choosing based on music but on the fortunes of the Music Collecting Fates, with an almost-guarantee of quality music, sound, and packaging.

No selects yet.

Two more Mosaics coming in the mail: Woody Shaw and Kenton (ebay and Running Low, respectively)

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've learned about Mosaic sets is that the fewer sets ordered, the more they are enjoyed.

I went through a cycle, over the last several months, of purchasing multiple Mosaic sets at a time, between two and four sets per Mosaic order. I don't know why I felt a need to order more than one set at a time. Ordering more than one set from Mosaic doesn't necessarily save on postage.

I learned, when multiple Mosaic sets arrive at my front door, I tear into all of them but appreciate none of them fully. When I receive multiple Mosaic sets in the same package, I listen to a few tracks from this set and that set. I flip through the manuals enjoying the pictures but not reading the words. Yeah, I'll get back to ALL of them at a later time.

When I purchase a single Mosaic set I have the time and energy to fully appreciate the set. I listen to most of the music, examine the packaging, and read about the musicians & the recording dates.

Being that there is no saving on postage, unless spending more Mosaic money that I want to spend, it would benefit me to make another Mosaic purchase, if a second set is desired, and get the next Mosaic delivered to my front door in the next couple of days. This provides the available time to appreciate a single Mosaic set without interference from other items from Mosaic.