Live Coltane CD suggestions?

Phil Meloy

I'm thinking about getting some more live Coltrane recordings. I've already got the Love Supreme suite at Juan-les-Pins, Live at Birdland, Live at the Village Vanguard and a CD called Coast to Coast which is a compilation of what are probably bootleg live recordings of quartet concerts in New York in April '65 and San Francisco in February '64. (it has an absolutely supurb McCoy Tyner solo on it but unfortunately on one track it seems as if they actually ran out of tape towards the end of one tune) Does anyone have any information, general comments or recommendations on any of the following live CDs (well I think they are all live recordings?) which are all currently available from Amazon. Thanks in advance and by all means suggest any others that I may not have listed.

Live in Stockholm 1960 Complete (Dragon)

Live in Sweden (Newsound) 1961

Live in Stockholm (Le Jazz) 1961

Scandanavian Visit 1962 (Unknown label)

Stockholm 62 Vols. 1 & 2 (Unknown label) - is this a different recording from the above?

Live in Stockholm (Le Jazz) 1963

Paris Concert (Original Jazz Classics)

Live in Paris (Le Jazz)

Live at the Half Note (Le Jazz)

At the Five Spot (EMI France) with Thelonious Monk

New Thing at Newport (GRP) with Archie Shepp

Live in Seattle (GRP)

Quintet in Chicago (Polydor) with Cannonball Adderley

On Stage 1962 (Unknown label) with Eric Dolphy

Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (Impulse)

Newport '63 (GRP)

Afro Blue Impressions (Pablo)

Edited by Phil Meloy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quintet in Chicago (Polydor) with Cannonball Adderley

That one's not a live date. Originally a Mercury studio date w/Ball. Trane, Mr. Kelly, PC, and Cobb. Very nice.

If you're like me, you'll want them all, so go for what you can get now and start looking for the rest.

But fwiw, if that Live in Paris (Le Jazz) is from 1965 (I've got something similar, I think, on two Affinty LPs), then jump on that puppy asap.

Live in Stockholm 1960 Complete (Dragon)

Is this the one with Miles' group? If so, I'd easily recommend that set (4 discs). It contains one of my favorite Coltrane solos on "All Blues," where Trane takes a simple blues riff, and then either splits or plays harmonic overtones on the last pitch of the riff — for a relatively long time. At first it sounds like he's messing up ... until you realize what he's after, and you go agreeably along for the ride.

In 1991, I heard Branford Marsalis live here (with his trio of the time), and he played a large portion of this solo verbatim (at least as much "verbatim" as harmonics allow). I remember being very impressed at the time, as I had just read an interview with him in Jazztimes, where he raved about this live concert, saying something to effect of: "That album should be called Coltrane and Others in Stockholm!"

Good live recording, too.

Fantasy put out a box set a few years back called "Live Trane: The European Tours", which contains some great stuff from Europe and a few shows from Birdland which were mistakenly labeled as being European shows. Its seven CDs of some fantastic live Trane. The sound on some of the previously unissued tracks are sketchy, but the majority of the sound is quite good. I love this set.

Live at the Half Note (Le Jazz)

At the Five Spot (EMI France) with Thelonious Monk

New Thing at Newport (GRP) with Archie Shepp

Live in Seattle (GRP)

Live at the Village Vanguard Again! (Impulse)

Newport '63 (GRP)

The Half Note date contains a stunning version of "Song of Praise", but I'd wait until Impulse's forthcoming reissue of this music.

The Five Spot material has been released domestically by Blue Note.

The Newport '65 CD actually has more Shepp than Trane. Not one of the most essential '65 quartet performances, but if you like this period you should pick it up.

Live in Seattle is a live recording with Pharoah Sanders. Some intense free jazz, particularly on "Cosmos" and "Evolution", though some performances are lacking focus.

The Newport '63 CD has the classic quartet with Roy Haynes replacing Elvin. Classic performances of "I Want to Talk About You", "MFT", and "Impressions". (An intense Roy-Trane duet on that last one.)

Live at the Village Vanguard Again has the best-sounding recording of Coltrane's final group with Rashied Ali and Alice. The version of "Naima" is incredible, though you should pass on this if you dislike Pharoah.

Guy

Fantasy put out a box set a few years back called "Live Trane: The European Tours", which contains some great stuff from Europe and a few shows from Birdland which were mistakenly labeled as being European shows. Its seven CDs of some fantastic live Trane. The sound on some of the previously unissued tracks are sketchy, but the majority of the sound is quite good. I love this set.

This set is essential if you are interested in Coltrane's live material, despite documentation problems. It makes the individual Pablo albums superfluous.

My favorite stuff on this box is from 1963. (The last three CDs.)

Guy

Jim the only information I have at the moment on Live in Paris is the track listing. Also I think the CD may now be OOP.

1. Naima

2. Impressions

3. Blue Valse

4. Afro Blue

5. Impressions [2nd Version]

Not much time to post now guys but thanks for the tips so far. Will be back at the computer in a day or two.

Jim the only information I have at the moment on Live in Paris is the track listing. Also I think the CD may now be OOP.

1. Naima

2. Impressions

3. Blue Valse

4. Afro Blue

Not much time to post now guys but thanks for the tips so far. Will be back at the computer in a day or two.

"Blue Valse" is a quartet version of "Ascension" from 1965.

Guy

That '65 Half Note stuff is amazing.

All of the live '65 Trane stuff I've heard has been amazing.

My buddy Pete Gallio thinks that '63 was "the" year, and as a Coltrane fan/fanatic, somebody who has lived and breathed every note that Coltrane ever played (that he can get his hands on, anyway) to a degree that mere mortals can only fantasize about, his opinion is not to be taken lightly.

But as for me, I think it was '65.

1. Naima

2. Impressions

3. Blue Valse

4. Afro Blue

That's Paris, 1965, the one I have on the Affinity LPs.

Yeah, start looking. :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

I've already got...a CD called Coast to Coast which is a compilation of what are probably bootleg live recordings of concerts in New York and San Francisco in 1961.

I've got that one. It's on Moon, right?

Track 3, "Crreation" is one of the '65 Half Note tracks, and a Trane piece that there is currently no documented studio version of. It's alos one of the most "famous" and beloved pieces amonst hardcore Coltrane collectors.

David Wild posted on the Coltrane listserv a couple of weeks ago that there were legal issues being worked out with Impulses's release of the Half Note material, and that the release date has been pushed back. Hopefully these issues will be resolved soon, and Impulse will release this material IN ITS ENTIRETY. As Jim mentioned, it is incredible stuff; some of the most intense Trane I have ever heard.

David Wild posted on the Coltrane listserv a couple of weeks ago that there were legal issues being worked out with Impulses's release of the Half Note material, and that the release date has been pushed back.

Rats. This was the August purchase I was most looking forward to. Hopefully it will make its way out by August ('05).

My favourite live Coltrane LP is "John Coltrane Live at Birdland - featuring Eric Dolphy" which I have as an Affinity LP released in Britain though it would seem to have been a Charly Records issue. It has Dolphy on three of the four tracks recorded Feb 10th 1962: Mr PC, Miles Mode and My Favourite Things plus a Quartet track from June 2 1960: Body and Soul. I've never come across it on CD though I would like to.

My favourite live Coltrane LP is "John Coltrane Live at Birdland - featuring Eric Dolphy" which I have as an Affinity LP released in Britain though it would seem to have been a Charly Records issue. It has Dolphy on three of the four tracks recorded Feb 10th 1962: Mr PC, Miles Mode and My Favourite Things plus a Quartet track from June 2 1960: Body and Soul. I've never come across it on CD though I would like to.

That's a great bootleg. It came out on one of the Boris Rose label (Ozone). Similar radio broadcasts by the Coltrane quartet appeared on other Boris Rose labels, Alto and Session.

Think they were also issued on obscure CD bootlegs!

That '65 Half Note stuff is amazing.

All of the live '65 Trane stuff I've heard has been amazing.

My buddy Pete Gallio thinks that '63 was "the" year, and as a Coltrane fan/fanatic, somebody who has lived and breathed every note that Coltrane ever played (that he can get his hands on, anyway) to a degree that mere mortals can only fantasize about, his opinion is not to be taken lightly.

But as for me, I think it was '65.

I'm with you, Jim. It seems to me that the live '65 stuff is where Coltrane fully realized a lot of his ideas for the quartet.

And "Creation" is an unbelievable performance, even by the standards of '65 Trane.

Guy

Does anyone know where I could pick up the 1965 "Live in Antibes" and the "Live in Paris" discs on Charley/Le Jazz?  Are they even in print anymore?

Sal the live at Antibes stuff is available on a deluxe Impulse 2 CD release with the studio version of "A Love Supreme" however I prefer this Castlepie release.

A Love Supreme (Live)

The version of "Impressions" is from another concert he did at the festival a couple of days later. The Love Supreme suite was not peformed at this second concert.

I'm still hunting for "Live in Paris". I think it may be OOP. Looks like the second hand racks for this one.

Edited by Phil Meloy

I've already got...a CD called Coast to Coast which is a compilation of what are probably bootleg live recordings of concerts in New York and San Francisco in 1961.

I've got that one. It's on Moon, right?

Track 3, "Crreation" is one of the '65 Half Note tracks, and a Trane piece that there is currently no documented studio version of. It's alos one of the most "famous" and beloved pieces amonst hardcore Coltrane collectors.

Yeah thats the one Jim. Sorry I was working from memory on Friday. The recordings are actually from '64 & '65. I've amended my original post to avoid confusion. I love that McCoy Tyner solo on "Impressions" - this is one of my favorite CDs. I was lucky enough to find it a few months ago in a second hand store. Thanks for the "Creation" info.

My favourite live Coltrane LP is "John Coltrane Live at Birdland - featuring Eric Dolphy" which I have as an Affinity LP released in Britain though it would seem to have been a Charly Records issue.  It has Dolphy on three of the four tracks recorded Feb 10th 1962: Mr PC, Miles Mode and My Favourite Things plus a Quartet track from June 2 1960: Body and Soul.  I've never come across it on CD though I would like to.

That's a great bootleg. It came out on one of the Boris Rose label (Ozone). Similar radio broadcasts by the Coltrane quartet appeared on other Boris Rose labels, Alto and Session.

Think they were also issued on obscure CD bootlegs!

Have that Ozone LP, as well as a Charly CD with the same contents (the Ozone is only the three tracks with Dolphy). Exciting stuff!

Also I fully agree about the greatness of the Paris '65 recordings!

Btw: the Newport is from '63 and has Haynes subbing for Elvin, and it's a great recording, Phil! I wouldn't want to miss it!

ubu