I'm Goin' To Da Dentist Tomorrow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

The sooner you get it handled ss1 the better. We had a person who came into the station today with all kinds of tooth woes. Too make a long story short she went through all kinds of dental professionals wth no answers but they got her money and she still had pain to spare. Finally she went back to the person she went to in the first place and his response was to say the tooth has to go so as I undertand it that is the scenario that will play itself out. Now this individual I'm talking about is bright and talented but hell anyone can get the runaround.

And on that subject, why does most dental insurance only pay 50%?? Why not something more similar to most medical insurance??

After the deductible is paid - most medical insurance kicks in at something like 90% (some even higher than that). But most dental plans (or at least most of the ones I've ever had, or friends have ever had), only pay like 50% at most -- even after deductibles are satisfied. Aargh!!! :angry:

Been a few years since I've been to the dentist (probably like 5, maybe 6). I'm sure I've got work that needs to be done, including getting my wisdom teeth pulled one of these days (heard that back in college, 15+ years ago), but was told is wasn't anything urgent -- just wait until I have a good dental plan, and get 'em pulled then.

And to bring this post around full circle -- I'm still waiting (for a good dental plan)...

Heck at the rate I'm going, I'll probably never get 'em pulled. (Hey Dmity, what's the downside of never getting one's wisdom teeth pulled?? They don't hurt -- except maybe once every couple years or so, for like maybe a week or two.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster,

I think dental plans pay a lower percentage for crowns because they encourage regular 6-month checkups. Most plans cover most of the costs for regular checkups. Crowns are needed when teeth rot to the extent where a portion of the tooth breaks off. Dental plans likely interpret such situations might have been prevented by regular dentist visits. That would be my guess.

I go to the dentist every six months, but there have been periods in my life where I avoided them for 5-6 years when I lived abroad.

• 2 months later...

About this topic. Do you remember the scene in the Billie Holiday movie when she was so angry and fristrated at a guy that she began spluttering at him, unable to find the words to express her exasparation, andd finally she screamed "You,-----You------You---- DENTIST'

I've had two root canals and I think 4-5 crowns, including one last week. It's become fairly routine. :o;) With the shots, you really don't feel a thing except for some minor discomfort for a day or two after. Fortunately I've got pretty good insurance; prior to that it did get pretty expensive.