BFT #16 - Disc 1 - Discussion

Dan Gould

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not been participating in recent BFTs for no reason other than I don't have the time these days to get into them 100%, which is the only way I care to participate. But Dan prevailed upon me to listen to his stuff, and to post my guesses/comments. I still don't have time for the detective work and intense analytical listeningthat makes these things so much fun, but hey...

(BTW, Ray (RDK) sent me his test too, and I fully intended to do the same w/his as I'm doing here, but I had even less time then than I do now. Sorry, Ray. It WAS a blast, though!)

Ok, listened to both discs one time on Sunday night, and am listening again to Disc One while posting. Haven't really looked at other's comments.

TRACK 1 - "Girl Of My Dreams". Tenor player had me stumped at first, "unfamiliar in a familair kind of way. But after the piano solo, the longer it went on, the downward bends on the notes, the phrasing, and the tone (ESPECIALLY the tone!) revealed itself to me. Ike Quebec, 1940s/early 50s. Have no idea who anybody else is. I've probably got this on soemthing somewhere, but maybe not. If it's BN or Savoy, I do. How do you not like this?

TRACK 2 - Ben. Sounds like a late 60s/early 70s live recording. Ben was apparently feeling a little less smooth is a bit more brusque than normal for those days, which is nice. You can really hear what Archie Shepp got from Ben on this cut. How do you not like THIS?

TRACK 3 - "Chelsea Bridge". Sounds sorta like Griff in the beginning, less so as it gets into it. This guy has really got control over the finer points of the tenor. Lovano? I hear little tonal things, mostly in the subtle pitch alterations, that suggest it might be. There's still enough references to other people's playing (but much fewer as the years go by) to keep me from totally swooning over his playing, but damn if I''ve got anything but the highest praise for what I hear here. There' humility and humanity aplenty in his playing, as well as a genuine love of music, and what more can you ask?

TRACK 4- "Things Ain't... " Little bits and pieces of Houston Person, but not consistently enough to make me think it's really him. But it might be! Nice performance, although I'd like to have ehard it developed more. Sounds like an old guy, though.

TRACK 5 - "The Preacher". Have no idea who it is, but the drummer's got his pocket where Blakey had his. That's a STRONG backbeat! Otherwise, a very competent perfomance, lots of subtle command in the pianist's voicings and touch, but not something I'd go out of my way to hear a whole album of. But this is not some soul-jazz hack, whoever it is. Too much nuance for that.

TRACK 6 - "After Hours". I do believe I hear Hank Crawford. I love it when that happens. Sounds like another old guy on tenor, the way he takes his time and puts the flayva on one note at a time. I love it when that happens, too. Although this is not a great solo, I still get a feel for the what kind of person it is who's playing it, and that's quite often more important to me than whether or not it's a great solo. Meat and potatoes, this stuff is, nothing spectacular, but it'll kepp you healthy and well fed nevertheless.

TRACK 7 - KD (or maybe CT in disguise - their tones have more in common than one might think...) and somebody on...valve bone? Baritone horn? Peck horn? Thinner and punchier than the usual slide bone, that's for sure, at least out of my speakers. Maybe even a french horn, but the range goes down too low, I think... Great bass player, both walking and soloing. My obvious guess is PC, but I'm not listening carefully enough to say so absolutely, but thoise walking lines sure favor him. Kinda sounds like Philly on drums. Like the way the whaterveritisist takes the mouhtpiece just a little bit off his mouth on that last note. That's character! Not at all familiar with this cut/album, but it's a good'un!

TRACK 8 - Interesting tune, kinda "Woody Shaw meets 70s Horace Silver". Solid playing by all, but there's an element of "new changes to play the same vocabulary over 20 years later" quality to the trumpet playing that keeps it from getting too involving for me, even though the pacing is very mature. Like the pianist better, he seems to come to the piece more organically. Is it his tune? Cedar? With a more "reaching" horn player, I'd like it even more than I already do.

TRACK 10 - "Highest Mountain", Clifford Jordan's big band. What can you say? Far from perfect ensembles, but hey - it sounds like life. I hear personalities caught in the act. Good enough for me!

TRACK 11 - "Maiden Voyage". This is nice. Very low-key, and they do it well like that. Two tenors, organ, Odell Brown? The tenors both have that R&B underpinning that you can't fake. A very pleasant take on what is today a bit of a cliched tune. Yeah!

TRACK 12 - Slide Hampton? Don't ahve a clue really, but this is very nice. Sounds like a late 60s thing with a mix of American & European players, that vibe where hard bop confronted Trane and found much that it liked, and even needed to stay vital and alive. Spirited, probing playing by all, and a perfect closer to Disc 1.

Good stuff, Dan!

TRACK 10 - "Highest Mountain", Clifford Jordan's big band. What can you say? Far from perfect ensembles, but hey - it sounds like life. I hear personalities caught in the act. Good enough for me!

TRACK 11 - "Maiden Voyage". This is nice. Very low-key, and they do it well like that. Two tenors, organ, Odell Brown? The tenors both have that R&B underpinning that you can't fake. A very pleasant take on what is today a bit of a cliched tune. Yeah!

TRACK 12 - Slide Hampton? Don't ahve a clue really, but this is very nice. Sounds like a late 60s thing with a mix of American & European players, that vibe where hard bop confronted Trane and found much that it liked, and even needed to stay vital and alive. Spirited, probing playing by all, and a perfect closer to Disc 1.

Jim, if you figure out what track 12 is on this disc, then you're even more of a wizard than I thought! :D

(I think you may want to edit those last three numbers) B-)

Really nice set, Dan. Personally I'd prefer a bit more variety, but I can't fault you for any of the tracks here. You've even included a couple of my very favorite compositions and taken the effort to dig up a few things on vinyl. Nice job. Many thanks! :tup

Here're my initial thoughts on Disc 1...

1. Nice deep tenor sound, jaunty tune. I’m sure I know these players. Ben Webster? Coleman Hawkins? Those seem too obvious though, as I’m sure Dan’s throwing us someone a bit more obscure. Late 30’s-early 40’s recording?

2. Interesting sound to the tenor, but damned if I know who it is. Nice. Live recording, but odd-sounding audience. Quotes “Summertime” at the end?

3. This sounds familiar. Is this a Duke tune? (Sorry, but sometimes I can’t keep his 1000s of compositions apart. ;)) Nice mood. Ah, another live track.

4. Now this is Duke. “Do Nothin…” but done as a slower-than-usual blues.

5. Gene Harris on piano? The tune is Horace’s “Preacher.” One of my favorite jazz compositions. From an LP… ;)

6. Another familiar tune, but also taken slower than usual. Dan sure loves these funky slow blues sax pieces – and I can’t say I blame him. I’ve been listen to AEC all morning so this is an enjoyable change-of-pace.

7. Interesting, very deep tuba/bone (?) opening. One of the more “arranged” tracks on this disc. At first I thought it was just “okay,” but listening to it again I’m liking it more.

8. One of the more straight-ahead blowing tracks on this disc – but then I’ve always found it harder to get that bluesy groove from a trumpet than a sax.

9. O.K. My feelings on this one are similar to track #7.

10. “Maiden Voyage.” Or “Dolphin Dance” – I always get those two mixed up. Sounds like it’s taken from an LP, so I won’t even hazard a guess. Another favorite tune of mine.

11. Also more straight-ahead. Very good, but it just doesn’t jump out at me like some of the others. Really like the trombone, especially at the end (9 min. in). This track sounds kind of harsh, and much louder than the rest of the disc, but my CD player’s also crapping out on the last couple of tracks on this disc. Live? Hmm… it gets kinda modal towards the end. I think I’d enjoy this more seeing it played live.

(BTW, Ray (RDK) sent me his test too, and I fully intended to do the same w/his as I'm doing here, but I had even less time then than I do now. Sorry, Ray. It WAS a blast, though!)

No worries, Jim. I knew the score and wasn't expecting anything. Just wanted to add an additional dash of musical joy to your life. ;) (That, and I recall a fondness for Specialty Records.)

Dan, many thanks for this very enjoyable assemblage! I just with I could have given this further hearings. Just be assured, its' one disc to keep!

After an initial listening, I was under the impression that it would be fairly easy to identify several of the entries. I was wrong. Dan had tricks up his sleeves. Identifications turned out to be on the short side on disc 1 (and about nil on disc 2!).

1- started on the right foot with an old favorite sax player. I got acquainted with him when I was presented with a 10-inch Savoy compilation 'Tenor Sax Solos' back in the mid-fifties. He was one of the featured players on that anthology.

Track 17 of this Classics:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hv8n1vy1zzma

The pianist - also an old favorite - was also a giveaway.

2- love this benwebsterish track with a superb rhythm section. Could not identify this!

3- a recent update on 'Chelsea Bridge'. No idea who plays here. Will have to check that one.

4- more unknown (to me) players on that ducal classic,

5- more unknown (to me ) players on that Preacher. Must say I prefer the classic Messengers version,

6- this 'After Hours' tune seems to be a favorite of BFT compilers. No clue on who plays on this fine version,

7- this MUST be the non-vocal track that was left out of that album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:pt3m962odep7

Track is 'Optional'. I have this on a trumpet anthology LP that I obviously did not place in its right place among my vinyls. Just could not find that LP to just check this answer. But I feel pretty sure about this. The horns are so distinctive...

8 - did not go anywhere with this. One more I enjoyed,

9- identified the tune right away. Heard the composer play that one several times. And when the composer showed up on this track with his very distinctive sound, I had no problem pinning this.

Track 2 of this album:

http://www.mysimon.com/4004-4182_8-660014103.html

Not familiar with this big band and will purchase this album. Very nice version!

10- an unidentifiable version (for me) of 'Maiden Voyage'.

11- wish I could identify that one too. Enjoyed it.

I will try to give the disc another hearing this weekend but will also wait for some identifications when Dan posts the answers.

Edited by brownie

Track is 'Optional'. I have this on a trumpet anthology LP that I obviously did not place in its right place among my vinyls. Just could not find that LP to just check this answer. But I feel pretty sure about this. The horns are so distinctive...

Yeah, I thought the phrasing sounded very much like this trombonist, but the sound of the instrument sounds like something other than a slide trombone!

But ok, everything makes sense now. :tup

Thanks Dan for a stimulating set. Here are my thoughts:

1) First impression was Scott Hamilton, as he sounds like he’s got all those pre-WW II influences down. (Now looking at the previous responses, I see why I thought so but this is a case where the actual player pre-dates Scott H but he also absorbed similar tenor influences quite well).

2) Ben Webster, if not then Harold Ashby, but I’ll stick with Ben

3) “Chelsea Bridge”, live quartet date, damn if it doesn’t sound a lot like Joe Lovano but I don’t have this version (only recorded version I know of Lovano doing this is a solo on on his "Rush Hour" CD with Schuller). As I’m pretty sure you’re not into Lovano, who can this be? In any event, liked it, always loved the tune.

4) Mercer E's "Things Ain't...", but HAFC about personnel although I feel I should know the tenor

5) NMCOT, drummer as dull as can be for my taste

6) “After Hours”, but again HAFC re anything else, tenors too “soulful” for my taste, ie., that gutbucket sound that doesn’t do much for me

7) trumpet-trombone blues, chirpy trumpet sounds like Bill Hardman, good possibility that Curtis Fuller is on trombone. (I now see where the trumpet was correctly id'd as one of my unheralded favorites - shame on me!)

8) Sounds like it could be very early Wynton M.

9) Recognize tenor sound of Clifford Jordan; this is possibly one of the big band dates under his leadership that he did towards the end of his life, but as I don’t have any of those CDs, can’t be sure

10) “Maiden Voyage”, interesting version with organ but unable to ID anybody

11) Like this one a lot, sounds like you transferred it from an LP with all the clicks and pops; while it sounds like a McCoy Tyner piece, that’s not McCoy on piano; trombone sounds very good.

Martin

Track is 'Optional'. I have this on a trumpet anthology LP that I obviously did not place in its right place among my vinyls.

NEW BLUE HORNS? I had that LP years ago, but never got around to picking up the CD (Riv 1134 / OJC 256)