Favorite guitarist from this list

Which is your favorite guitarist from this list?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Had to go with Kenny! A sentimental favorite.

Other guys that I really dig that haven't been mentioned yet...

Barney Kessel, Barry Galbraith, Philip Catherine, Cornell Dupree (Not really jazz, but just happens to be the best R&B quitarist on the planet IMHO)

Who would have thought that Pat Metheny would get so many votes?

I really dig Metheny in all his incarnations. I don't think he gets his due on jazz boards in general. If anything, you'll get the "I liked him when he first started out on ECM" or "I like his trio material. The cat CAN play jazz" sort of remarks.

I respect those comments. But I don't think there's any doubt the Metheny is best known for his PMG albums and tours. Maybe it's just the more vocal hard core jazz fans that speak out, but I don't hear many of them professing to be big fans of the PMG. Maybe he's too popular, maybe some find his playing formulaic - I don't know. It's all so subjective.

As for me, I'm a huge fan of the PMG. I find the music uplifting, interesting and fun. I really enjoy his incorporation of world sounds in his music. He's a fabulous guitarist in all settings and in the PMG, has surrounded himself with an excellent supporting cast.

His live shows are among the best I've seen - and I'm talking trio, sideman, and PMG.

Full disclosure - I think that with the exception of Passagio il Paradiso (or whatever the title) - I've got all of Pat's work as a leader. What can I say - I dig him.

It was a hard one. Either Farlow, Montgomery or Metheny really should have got my vote but I've gone for Pat Martino. His recordings are always a total knock-out (from the early Prestiges through to 'Live at Yoshi's') but extra kudos (squared) for the recent performance in London and being so approachable and genuinely friendly after the show. I was damned impressed !

:rhappy:

I apologize in advance for my choice. He wasn't a choice in the poll. He (sorry) isn't known for jazz but my choice would have to be-drum roll please-Carlos Santana with the runner up of Eric Clapton.

Have you ever hear Carlos w/Alice Coltrane, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and others on Illuminations? Bill Laswell did some remixing resulting in the disc Devine Light.

7/6

I apologize in advance for my choice. He wasn't a choice in the poll. He (sorry) isn't known for jazz but my choice would have to be-drum roll please-Carlos Santana with the runner up of Eric Clapton.

Have you ever hear Carlos w/Alice Coltrane, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette and others on Illuminations? Bill Laswell did some remixing resulting in the disc Devine Light.

7/6

I may have heard it on something my husband has. I can't even tell you if he has any of the artists you named. My knowledge of jazz is sorely lacking. The husband takes care of the Jazz and Led Zepplin. I take care of the other genres. Thank you for making me feel better about my choice.