Favorite guitarist from this list

Which is your favorite guitarist from this list?  

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Kenny Burrell, but Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery or Grant Green could easily have been my choice as well. I think Johnny Smith should have been on the list of available choices too. I was listening to the Johnny Smith Mosaic this morning and the guy was absolutely incredible.

This is a tough poll to be sure. I had to go with Green simply because he was one of the first BN artists I heard and was hooked thereafter. The other choices are terrific too. In retrospect, should I have left out Metheny and Scolfield and Abercrombie and exchanged them with Raney and Smith and someone else?

Guest Mnytime

You also left off Django who I would have voted for. From this batch I would have to go with Green. Though for my money Django blows him away. But hey that's just me. ;)

Django should be left out for reasons similar to Christian; he would dominate the list. As it is, with all the Blue Note fans on this board, Green has a bit of an unfair advantage. For me it was a three-way tie between Farlow, Burrell, and Jim Hall (I figured Montgomery is such a towering figure that he would also clean up---looks like I may have been wrong on that). So I voted for Jim Hall, always swinging, tasteful, & elegant in a broad variety of contexts.

As with the piano poll, there are too many "apples & oranges" here to make a logical decision.

Ditto that. Since it's a question of our personal favorite, I went with Metheny, as that's the guy I listen to the most. I feel a little guilty not voting for Wes or Grant or Hall or Sco, as I've listened to all of them a ton, and everyone on the list is so deserving. And there are so many more! Like John Mclaughlin! Lots of great younger guitarists too, like Peter Bernstein, Brad Shepik, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Russell Malone, et al.

Edited by Joe G

Made the obvious choice and voted for Green. Guys I really like though are Herb Ellis and Tal Farlow. One guy I could just never get into and doesn't do anything for me is Wes Montgomery. Just doesn't have Grant's soul, IMHO. But that's just me.

I'm a big Jimmy Raney fan myself.

The list is really tough to pick from. I voted for Grant Green. I love his classic Blue Note material. But I'm a huge fan of both Pat Metheny and John Abercrombie as well, having listened to bith of them since their earliest ECM recordings. I really dig John Scofied as well. My first jazz concert back in 1975 was the Billy Cobham band with Scofield and guitar, Alphonzo Johnson on bass and George Duke on keyboards. I've been a fan ever since.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

One guy I could just never get into and doesn't do anything for me is Wes Montgomery. Just doesn't have Grant's soul, IMHO. But that's just me.

Brad, I'm wondering which era of Wes you are referring to?

I've always thought that Wes' reputation was tarnished and misunderstood by the commercial work that he did for Verve. Understandably, he no doubt did it for the money AND to his credit became commercially popular for the effort. Yet, jazz purists will continue to degrade his talents for that decision, I"m sure.

It would be hard to say that Wes had no soul after listening to "Boss Guitar", "Full House" or "Portrait of Wes".

Interesting that while Montgomery's image is tarnished by his commercial work for Verve, Green's is not similarly tarnishe by his late period works - especially the Main Attraction and Easy but also his late BN period.

I simply don't have enough Wes in my collection to fairly judge him. I did pick up a couple of PJ discs that were very nice. But I also still gravitate to Green. I just really dig his feel.

Too many great ones on the list. Since we're picking favorites, I'll go with Scofield. But there are too many different eras of guitar players on this list to really make a valid "pick" from the list.

edit: Strange - I picked Sco from the list, but my vote isn't showing up on the poll. Nor am I able to go back and pick again, since I'm being told I already voted in this poll.

Edited by Aggie87

Jimmy Gourley is a personal favorite of mine, too. Then how about Billy Bauer? His "Plectrist" is impeccable. (is this really his only date as a leader?)

Jimmy Raney another favorite, then of course Burrell and Hall (remember all those GREAT bands he was in, like the Chico Hamilton Quintet, Giuffre Three, Rollins of "Bridge"-period, his records with Paul Desmond...)

And then Sal Salvador would be another personal favorite. So, no vote possible.

ubu

These polls are tough!

There is an embarrassment of riches with these guitarists.

I wish I could have chosen half of them.

I went with Wes. As much as I dig Farlow, Green and the others, Wes is just special to me. His album Full House was the first jazz guitar album I bought and it is still a frequent visitor to my stereo.

Thanks for creating the polls conn! They're fun!

:rsmile: