September 11th

Saw a documentary on this today. Three years later, I still get that horrified feeling that I remember so distinctly from watching the whole tragedy unfold that morning. I must have watched CNN for a week or two straight before I had to force myself to get out of the house and do something else so the depression didn't become overwhelming. Everything seems so different now (I'm not necessarily talking about the resulting political ramifications, that's why I didn't post this there); each day seems more important, and the little daily BS that used to be bothersome is so insignificant.

And of course politically it's even more important to do what you think is right.

The time for apathy is over.

What are your reflections?

Edited by Free For All

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime I turn on the news I expect to hear about some new catastrophe. Things that once seemed beyond our imagination now seem possible and even likely.

For sure.

I blame some of this on the media. With their srolling updates across the bottom of the screen, the graphics, and special alerts. The story could be "baby takes shit in diaper", and they will make you think Osama was just spotted in Cleveland.

Still, it's hard not to think about what did/could happen, not just here, but in all places.

I think television has a lot to do with it. Along with Tom Ridge, etc. Frankly, I don't think about terrorism at all anymore on a day to day basis, but then I don't watch TV. If I lived in New York, I'm sure it would be different. I still get nervous if I'm in traffic and our car has to stop under an overpass, and the quake that caused the freeway collapses up here was way back in '89. But terrorists? Sure, it could happen, any day, and to me or someone I know. But I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.

It's humorous, lately, when the FoxNews babe will get the extremely serious look on her face and say, "FoxNews Alert..." Usually, the alert amounts to less than nothing.

:g

Reminds me of the infamous "STORM WATCH 2004" reports we get here when it rains.

Anchor: "Now let's go to Bruce Martin live on the scene"

Reporter: "Thanks, Patty. Well, like you said it's raining, Whoaaa!!!, did you see that, that was lightning. The dust, my God the dust".

Anchor: "Bruce, it looks windy as well".

Reporter: Yes, Patty it is windy, and it's strong, see my hair flapping around?.

Anchor: I do, Bruce......, Bruce......, can you hear me?

Reporter: Yes I can, Patty. "If you will notice I am standing in a puddle up to the soles of my shoes. The Phoenix Police Department would like to remind all citizens to stay home unless it's absolutely necessary to be out.

Anchor: Thanks Brice, try and stay dry.

Reporter: Ha Ha Ha

Anchor: We'll check back with Bruce in 3 minutes for the latest update.

:rolleyes:;) B-)

Edited by catesta

I worked about 12 blocks away on 9/11- it was horrible, enraging & surreal all at the same time. I was sitting at my desk, which had a window right there, and I saw a cloud of burnt paper fly by- it was just so strange, and I couldn't figure out where it came from. My building was evacuated, and I walked through the streets with a wet tissue covering my nose and mouth because the cloud of dust was so thick it would make you choke. I walked home that day, as did thousands of others-for me it was about 6 miles.It felt then like the world was going to end soon. I spent three days at home after that(Stock Exchange was closed, so I couldn't work), obsessively watching the news. Thankfully, a friend called and we went out and played some handball and that snapped me out of it. Now it's a part of memory and I erupt in disgust when people try to exploit it for their own ends(I probably would do that anyway even if I weren't around there that day.) and twist things up.

I was raised a Catholic (lapsed now)and taught that suicide was a sin, but how can you blame those who jumped? Surely God forgives that. When people jumping to their deaths is a rational response, we've come unglued.

That's what I mean by "If I lived in New York, I'm sure it would be different." I don't care how many times I saw it on TV that day, or how shocked I was, there is no way in hell it can ever be as real to me as it was to you, PhillyQ. That difference between seeing it on TV and actually living it will always be there...

Yeah, I was there too. I was working out of offices on 34th St. with a view of the WTC. We saw pretty much the entire thing from the second strike on. It was certainly gruesome, especially as we had clients in the building and my boss was going to visit them the next day. Then our building had a few bomb scares over the next week, as everything came unglued. Of course, I will never forgive those who committed the act, but I also hate those who have exploited 9-11 for their own gain. These so-called patriots are beneath contempt.

It's so frustrating, too, as it doesn't feel like the people who did it will ever be punished here on earth (apart from the ones on the airplanes, of course). What's also so frustrating is the ease with which the culprits did it. They were only armed with box cutters. Even allowing for the fact that this was so unexpected, people are so wimpy and easily intimidated. Two of my kids are high up in Ju Jitsu, and could easily have disarmed the scumbags with the box cutters. At least the passengers on the plane that went down in Pennsylvania fought back.

I was raised a Catholic (lapsed now)and taught that suicide was a sin, but how can you blame those who jumped? Surely God forgives that. When people jumping to their deaths is a rational response, we've come unglued.

From a realistic and practical point of view, those who jumped from the WTC were absolutely doomed, and if they weren't beginning to burn to death, probably knew that they soon would. Also, some of them were probably in great pain from inflicted wounds. One of the firefighters on the CBS video said (and I'm paraphrasing) "How bad is it up there if the best option is to jump". Very bad, obviously...

I don't necessarily agree with (or even understand) the general concept of suicide as a sin, but somehow I don't think this kind of suicide is really relevant to that debate (IMHO, and with all due respect to those who see all suicide as sinful).

It's so frustrating, too, as it doesn't feel like the people who did it will ever be punished here on earth (apart from the ones on the airplanes, of course). What's also so frustrating is the ease with which the culprits did it. They were only armed with box cutters. Even allowing for the fact that this was so unexpected, people are so wimpy and easily intimidated. Two of my kids are high up in Ju Jitsu, and could easily have disarmed the scumbags with the box cutters. At least the passengers on the plane that went down in Pennsylvania fought back.

Hmmm... I wouldn't want to imply that those who perished in the two planes that hit the WTC were "wimps" because they didn't physically challenge the hijackers. Until that day, the traditional wisdom was that you DON'T physically challenge hijackers while a loaded plane is in the air. The only way that fighting back makes sense in that situation (due to the fact that you really don't know if the hijackers have guns, or bombs, and thus could be jeopardizing everyone on the plane) is if you KNOW they're planning to intentionally crash the plane (or kill everyone on board, one way or another). Nobody on those two planes could have known for sure that they were going to crash intentionally. The other situation was different. Due to the time delay, the people on the plane that went down in Pennsylvania had gotten the news of the WTC crashes by phone, and knew they would probably be SAVING lives by taking the risk.

I hope this makes sense... my memory could be foggy after three years...

What's also so frustrating is the ease with which the culprits did it. They were only armed with box cutters. Even allowing for the fact that this was so unexpected, people are so wimpy and easily intimidated.  At least the passengers on the plane that went down in Pennsylvania fought back.

I would cut the passengers some slack. Up until that point, all training about hijacking was about minimizing conflicts in the air, since the hijackers obviously were rational and planned on landing someplace. Probably the stewards actually told people to stay calm and not to actively resist. Well, the old assumptions proved to be tragically incorrect. My understanding is that the passengers on the 4th plane only started actively resisting once they heard the news about the other three planes and it become clear they were dealing with fanatics.

I still feel sick about it, mostly because of the loss of life, but also because of the aftermath (the rise of the neocons and more loss of life). It really will be a turning point in US history.

This has affected me on a subconscious level quite a bit and it took me a long time to figure it out. One of my co-workers and I, another woman, talked that week about how much we were bothered by it because no one at work really talked much about it after the day of the event.

I think about it every time I go through the transbay tunnel on BART at the bottom of the Bay. I went through a period of having anxiety attacks every time the train left Embarcadero Station to go into the tube back to the East Bay. It's way better now but I still think about it.

The first year anniversary, our office was asked to provide staffing to the City of SF for a commemorative event. I was very cynical about it and my executive manager put on his best puppy dog face and said he wanted us to be represented so I signed up. I was sort of sneering a bit about it because it felt phony for some reason, the Mayor's office wanting SF to look good. But that changed when I got there. At the top of the grand staircase in SF City Hall, there was a long table with large books for people to sign and comment. The books would be sent to NYC. The line of people who came to sign was amazing. One middle-aged Asian woman was so overcome she couldn't speak or even walk and we had to find a chair for her. A busload of very senior black church ladies came together. One woman was nearly blind and her friend had to help her with the pen. It was incredible to see some of the old folks who struggled up the flight of steps just to sign their name and tell NYC how hurt they were by what happened. I almost cried standing there. And, am crying now just remembering that day.

People who were tourists came and signed, people from all over came and signed those books. It was so solemn, and it was clear that it meant a great deal to these people to come and show respect.

I saw the first tower fall from 4th and BWay. It didn't seem real to me. My mind couldn't process it. I stared at where the tower once stood for a long time, thinking that what I saw happen really didn't happen, that my mind had played some sort of trick on me (I had the same feeling earlier this week, for those who read that other thread). I still almost half expect to see the towers still standing there when I look south down Mercer on the way to my office. My girlfriend's aunt was on the 86th floor, and managed to escape. My company, however, lost 269 people that day.

I expect the city to get hit again (which is ironic; the terrorists must not understand how little NYC represents America). I think they'll likely go after the subway system next time, which, in addition to causing massive loss of life, would really shut the whole city down. It's frustrating, scary and sad, but what can you do? That's life these days.

I'm sure I read in the 9/11 comission's report that there was evidence that a couple of passengers (maybe only one??) in the first plane to hit the WTC stood up and began to fight back but were knifed.

I find it fascinating that there has been such little progress on the anthrax letters. The first time I heard of that first guy who contracted anthrax, I thought it had to be related to the hijackings. Seemed like perfect timing-prolong the terror, etc.

That's what I mean by "If I lived in New York, I'm sure it would be different." I don't care how many times I saw it on TV that day, or how shocked I was, there is no way in hell it can ever be as real to me as it was to you, PhillyQ. That difference between seeing it on TV and actually living it will always be there...

You know it, Moose.

I was in my office, and remember going numb when they announced that the first tower had fallen. The rest of the day was a blur.

I found out then that our office manager's birthday was that day.

When I got home, my son (who was five at the time) came in after a day of much playing. And I just looked at him. In his world, everyone plays, gets along, and is happy. And yet, what do you tell a five-year-old whose whole world hasn't turned upside down like everyone else's had? I just held him and told him how much I loved him.

Finally, I remember listening to a Christian talk station. I don't remember much of what was said, except for one comment made by the host. It was something to the effect of, "I hope things don't go back to the way they were before 9/11. I hope that this unity that we see right now doesn't disappear, and everyone goes back to being divided." Or something like that. That was my wish, too. Still is. I don't see it happening anymore.

I was in the living room, looking out the window at the clear blue sky, thinking how beautiful it looked. Looked at the TV and saw the coverage right after the first hit...saw the second hit and decided not to see a customer in town that day...

In the last couple of weeks, when ever we have weather like that, I think about 9/11...

Edited by 7/4

Wow, I only watched it on TV and it f*cked me up. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to be there as some of you were. My heart goes out to y'all.

I'd bet that in the midst of all the terror and confusion there were also many moments of serious bonding- relationships that were forged that day that probably still are strong.

EDIT: Another thing- it's really haunting seeing movies with the Towers in the background or skyline shots, isn't it?

Edited by Free For All

It was so strange. I remember getting up late (about noon) and driving to my dad's place which was on the other side of town. I turned on NPR, expecting to hear Fresh Air and instead it's Neil Conan. I'm thinking, "That's odd..." Then he starts to update the situation and I start looking around me as I'm driving wondering if anyone else in the cars next to me knew.

I didn't know it started so early until I got to my dad's and found my family sitting around the TV.

The weirdest part of that whole week was playing gigs on Friday the 14th and Saturday the 15th... Trying to get people to relax and dance was like pulling teeth. Then I met my wife on that Saturday at a wedding. She later told me they had the bachelorette party on September 11th.

We were traveling in Australia at that time. On 9/11 we were camping in Daly Waters - a township of 35 people located in the middle of nowherein outback Australia. The pub there is famous worldwide. It is truly "the pub at the end of the world". We pitched out tent, watched the cockatoos and other parrots around and later that night went in the pub.

There's no TV there, not even a radio station.

We had no idea of the events that are unfolding elsewhere in the world.

The next day we drove on, stopping before it got dark in one of the many rest areas near the highway. There were 2 Caravans (campervans) with some older folks. After the customery greetings and weather talk, we slowly began to understand from them that an awful thing had happened.

They were talking about the WTC being knowckd down, as well as the Pentagon and Capitol Hill. They were talking about 30,000 casualties.

It sounded unbelievable, more like one of those exaggerated tales you get to hear while in the outback.

Later on, however, anotherr Caraval pulled in and he got a very poor reception on his AM radio - but reception nonetheless, and we could listen to the horrifying truth.

It was hard to grasp, we couldn't get any sleep that night. We sat down all night with a Dutch couple who also pitched there tent nearby and talked about what's going to happen next and how the world is going to be like in the aftermath. The mere idea of the Manhattan skyline without the towering figures of the twins were hard to grasp.

Only two days later we got to a sizable town with newspapers were we first saw the horrors. It took us another week until we finally saw the events, you all saw live on TV.

EDIT: Another thing- it's really haunting seeing movies with the Towers in the background or skyline shots, isn't it?

Oh, yeah. I remember popping Escape from New York into the player...even something that far from reality brings on a feeling of the world not being quite solid...

Edited by Jazzmoose