Howlin' Wolf

mikeweil

Ace Records just released all of the Modern (RPM) recordings in superior sound. They actually found new acetates.

g43002da3pb.jpg

I haven't heard the Bear Family releases, but the Chess Box sounds good to my ears. The Chess Box also makes a good selection from the cream of almost all of Wolf's recordings. I believe that Bear Family releases only the earlier (Memphis) recordings that were not licensed to either Modern or Chess. (Chuck: I don't think that the Bear Family discs actually contain any of the Modern (RPM) material, although they do contain a number of alternate takes from sessions at Sun that were the source of some of the first Modern sides. All of the tracks on Bear Family were also included on a Charly box set of all of Wolf's Chess records (with alternates) and there was no duplication with the Modern (RPM) stuff.)

There is another 2-disc set that supplements the Chess Box with no duplications: "Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog." Those 5 Chess CDs and the Ace CD are the cornerstones of a Wolf collection (IMO).

As for the DVD, it's fantastic. Get it!

Edited by John L

Ace Records just released all of the Modern (RPM) recordings in superior sound.  They actually found new acetates. 

g43002da3pb.jpg

I haven't heard the Bear Family releases, but the Chess Box sounds good to my ears.   The Chess Box also makes a good selection from the cream of almost all of Wolf's recordings.   I believe that Bear Family releases only the earlier (Memphis) recordings that were not licensed to either Modern or Chess.   (Chuck: I don't think that the Bear Family discs actually contain any of the Modern (RPM) material, although they do contain a number of alternate takes from sessions at Sun that were the source of some of the first Modern sides.   All of the tracks on Bear Family were also included on a Charly box set of all of Wolf's Chess records (with alternates) and there was no duplication with the Modern (RPM) stuff.)

There is another 2-disc set that supplements the Chess Box with no duplications:  "Ain't Gonna Be Your Dog."   Those 5 Chess CDs and the Ace CD are the cornerstones of a Wolf collection (IMO). 

As for the DVD, it's fantastic.  Get it!

Thanks for the research, John.

The recent Ace CD Howling Wolf Sings the Blues (ACE CDCHM 1013) is actually a reissue of the older Ace CD Howling Wolf Rides Again (Ace CDCHD 333). The reissue probably has better sound since (like you said) the original acetates were used.

Edited by J.A.W.