BFT Answers all-in-one thread?

Dmitry

• 2 months later...

Is anyone up to continuing to make the .pdf files of all the covers/personell listing?

It was a good beginning!

if people take up the task of pulling the relevant information from the answer threads and organise it some, I can make the PDFs.

gimme:

-tracknumber

-group/artist name

-tracktitle

-composer

-personnel

-recording date

-album title

-label

Please pick a BFT, collect the info - this will involve some googling - and post it here. I will collect and re-format it in that nice spiffy look.

Now, now, not all at once!

• 1 month later...

I hate it when it turns out I cannot fulfil a promise - but sorry, I won't be able to take up work on the grand list for the next few months - the band I play in just got the okay to record the next CD, with only three months to get it done, and we are in the planning stages for our own label and web distributions for future and other people's albums at the same time, not to mention all the other work.

I apologize - I will post here as soon as I will have more time for such things. :(:winky:

I've been following this thread, and wondering all along whether this idea of Dmitry's shouldn't be so difficult to pull off. With all respect to John and the pdf approach, I think it would be great to have a thread here that's convenient for everyone to access. With that in mind, I just had another idea, which would distribute the task evenly and fairly, and with perhaps an occasional tweak and some teamwork could be done in fairly short order.

What if each BFT leader simply posts all of their own data (sequentially) into one comprehensive answers thread? Rather than one or two people trying to transfer all of the data from 21 (more actually, since some people did 2-disc BFT's) different answer threads, each test leader would simply post their data, one after the other. We have the ability to contact everybody, so it should be fairly simple to have each person transfer their own data into one thread. Once Dan started this new thread, he could contact Tony to add his data, Tony could contact me, etc etc. Seems fairly simple. I'm sure there may be a minor wrinkle here or there, but nothing we couldn't overcome, I'm sure. If all went smoothly, we would have one (or two) posts per person, sequentially organized.

Just a thought...

Except that Tony was #1 and I was #2 ...

Ancient history. :P B-)

Honestly, it seems to me that even a single person could do this into the single thread Jim is talking about, and have it done in 30 minutes or fewer.

:unsure: Not if you still have a dial-up connection. :w Anyway, I tend to agree that it wouldn't be a huge job, but then again, my idea spreads the task around fairly...

I can pull the info from my files and post the first how-many-are-there in a whiff.

Problem is, you will be asking a whole lot of people. I have been pulling this info together and for some BFTs it was pretty easy, as it was all in the answers thread. For others, it was google-galore as the compiler did not know or did not care about or simply forgot to write down e.g. personnel or release or whatever.

It would be nice to have some format that were easily pasted into a booklet, but it will be darn difficult to get the idiosyncracies of the collected big O posters ironed out. Nothing too bad, I am anal enough to have produced how-many-were-there booklets and would have continued if time had allowed.

I bet there are more like me around here. Just that they are all too darn lazy! :P

It seems to me that you could just as easily go to the BFT Master List and click on any of the links in there which would take you to the answer thread of the particular BFT you're looking for.

:unsure: But... :unsure: um... :unsure: ... hey, YEAH! :g:rolleyes:

As far as answer threads that don't have complete info (I haven't really paid close attention to that), one could just contact the person who posted those answers in the first place, and complain. ^_^

The more I think about it, given the fact that there is such a variation in how much discographical details people give, I think its really up to an individual to do some searching themselves. Asking anyone, even the anally inclined, to put it all togethr, seems like a lot of work for minimal return.

I think the best thing would be Jim's idea: Copy and paste the answer posts for each BFT, in order. If the info is there, great. If its lacking, well, as Jim says, you can go and ask the guy for more info, or try to search it out yourself.

Dan, I think my idea was pretty straightforward, and would have been a good solution, but... I think Al's point makes complete sense. I now feel like an idiot for calling this thread to your attention, too. :rolleyes: (sorry about that).

Thanks to Mike's excellent "BFT Master List" thread (which I have rarely opened for some reason), all one has to do is open that and click on the "answers" link for whatever BFT they want info about. It's actually easier/neater/tidier than trying to put all the actual data in one thread, IMO (now that Al made me think about it :rolleyes: ).

Thanks, Al. Unless John and Dmitry (and whoever else) disagrees with Al's suggestion, I think this thread can be put to bed (although if people want those pdf booklets, then by all means keep it going...).

My 20 cents.

Thanks to Mike's excellent "BFT Master List" thread (which I have rarely opened for some reason), all one has to do is open that and click on the "answers" link for whatever BFT they want info about. It's actually easier/neater/tidier than trying to put all the actual data in one thread, IMO (now that Al made me think about it :rolleyes: ).

Thanks for the kind words. Keeping the Test Master list updated is no problem for me, given I'm as curious as hell about the proceedings.

I have to admit it is my primary source of reference. But I also copy the answers to my hard disc and store a printout along with the CDs.

Some standard format for the info would be nice, but I think this is asking too much, considering how much work it is to compile, burn and ship ...

One thread with all the answers would be quite long and clumsy, and would have to edit out the personal comments, which are a very inspiring read.