The Soul of Jazz Percussion

Nate Dorward

Anyone heard this? I haven't got it but my interest was piqued by turning up a Collectables hodgepodge in Around Again yesterday, though I didn't buy it: The Third World by Donald Byrd & Booker Little. After scouring the web I've determined that the Byrd/Little tracks are taken from The Soul of Jazz Percussion (Warwick W 5003 ST), but they left off much of the original album (which included some Bill Evans tracks) & spatchcocked in some Mal Waldron tracks ("Quiet Temple", aka "All Alone", but with a little "exotic" percussion added--like tuned woodblocks?) & some Byrd/Adams tracks. Anyway, what I heard of the Byrd/Little (I gather Marcus Belgrave is also in there but he wasn't credited by Collectables) was excellent, so I was wondering if I should be hunting the full album out. I gather it was reissued by Fresh Sound but I'm not sure if it's still in print.

c1567.jpg

This is still available:

The Soul Of Jazz Percussion

FSRCD 210

PRICE: 9.80 €

Tracklisting:

1. Chasing the Bird

2. November Afternoon

3. Quiet Temple

4. Witchfire

5. Construction Crew

6. Ping pong Beer

7. Prophecy

8. Wee Tina

9. Call to Arms

1, 8, 9 by Booker Little, Donald Byrd, Marcus Belgrave (trumpets), Mal Waldron (piano), Addison Farmer (bass), Ed Shaughnessy (drums), Armando Peraza (conga).

2, 4, 5 (Little and Ellis Out) by Booker Little, Don Ellis (trumpets), Curtis Fuller (trombone), Mal Waldron (piano), Philly Jo Jones (drums), Ed Shaughnessy (perc. and vibes), Willie Rodriguez (conga).

3, 6, 7 by Donald Byrd (trumpets), Pepper Adams (baritone sax), Bill Evans (piano), Paul chambers (bass), Philly Jo Jones (drums), Earl Zindars (percussion).

Recorded in 1960.

The reissue of Warwick LPs is a mess - they were bootlegged frequently, in ridiculous compilations and incorrect or incomplete credits. The Fresh Sound reissues are reliable. These albums are all interesting - I bought the Fresh Sound LPs back then.

Since Teddy Charles was producing many of them, you can find details in Noal Cohen's Teddy Charles discography.

The reissue of Warwick LPs is a mess - they were bootlegged frequently, in ridiculous compilations and incorrect or incomplete credits. The Fresh Sound reissues are reliable. These albums are all interesting - I bought the Fresh Sound LPs back then.

Doesn't the Byrd/Adams Warwick Freshsound Reissue ("Out of this Time", I think) miss one track? I think I saw another boot of it that had one more track than my FS disc.

ubu

Fresh Sound CD 137 "Out Of This World" has all seven titles from the session. Discographies list alternative takes for two (some list for five) of the titles (issued under different bogus names under other artists' leadership). I cannot confirm if this is correct. The other versions may be edited from the same master takes.

The seven titles are:

Birdhouse

Mr. Lucky

Day Dream

I'm An Old Cowhand

Curro's [aka French Spice]

It's A Beautiful Evening

Out Of This World

Mike

I guess you ask Noal Cohen (link in my post above for this) - I discussed details on this with him and sent him all details I had, and sold my LPs since then. As the bootlegs often mixed in tracks from other sessions, and edited them wildly, only a note-for-note comparison would yield reliable results.

Thanks, Mike & Mike ;)

I guess I can live believing I have all of it. Might be that one of the newer versions of that album had an alternate coming with a different title or whatever.

"Out of This World" of course is the title of the disc, thanks for correcting! Was too lazy to check.

ubu

Waldron's BMI listing shows a tune "Quiet Alone" by MW, Billie Holiday, and Dominique J. Vaulthier. Not familiar with that last name. It also shows "Left Alone" with alt. title "All Alone" by MW and Holiday.

Waldron's GEMA listing shows "Left Alone" with alt. title "All Alone" by MW and Holiday. It also shows "All Alone" but only by MW.

Neither of these databases has an entry for "Quiet Temple".

Typically, the Lord CD-ROM has things confused. "All alone [by the telephone]" is how it lists the tune on several Waldron albums. There are also entries for "Left Alone" and "Quiet Temple".

Obviously this is a mess in need of straightening out.

Mike

Hm, I'm pretty sure "Left Alone" & "All Alone" are different tunes. Both of them turn up on Left Alone '86 on Evidence (which I have).

"Quiet Temple" is listed twice in this discography:

http://www.jazzdisco.org/mal/dis/c/

for sessions from 1963 & 1989 (& for the first one "All Alone" is listed as an alt. title). But the personnel listings for those sessions don't seem quite right for the version I heard. (But I'm going on memory, not having purchased the CD.)

I can't find any trace of "Quiet Alone" in that discography. I suspect it's just a mistaken conflation.

I wouldn't trust that discography for anything. Everything on that site is full of errors and omissions.

For example, no mention of 1949 or 1952 sessions that include Waldron.

Next, "Gregorian Chant" is wrong. The title is "Gregarian Chant" by Mingus, as listed by BMI.

Next, the master numbers for the Macero session are missing (and so are the three other tunes recorded at that session: Neally, T.C.'s Groove, and Adventure).

Next, "24X 18X" is wrong. The title is "24+ 18+" by Teo Macero.

Next, "Hert On My Sleeve" is wrong. The title is "Heart On My Sleeve" by Teo Macero.

Next, Ernestine Anderson is not the vocalist on "Sounds Of May." It is a man named Ernest Anderson.

Next, Lenny DiJay is wrong. The name is Lanny DiJay (nickname of Orlando DiGirolamo).

And those are just the problems in the first four sessions! Most of this is actually correct in existing discographies, so the folk on that website are introducing NEW errors. They do also copy existing errors too.

I could go on and on, but there are so many problems that it would be a full-time job.

Anyway, I agree that there are two tunes - Left Alone (tune #1) and All Alone (tune #2). The problem is that some places may use All Alone as the alternative title for Left Alone (tune #1).

Might be that Quiet Temple is an alternative title for All Alone (tune #2). I can't say right now.

My supposition at this point would be that "Quiet Alone" is somehow different but related to tune #1, due to the added name on the copyright. Maybe this involves additional lyrics or something. I'm pretty sure that Billie Holiday and Waldron only ever wrote the one tune together.

The lyric to that tune (Left Alone) includes the line "I'm left alone, all alone." Which is likely where the trouble starts.

Mike

It gets even more confusing. All but one of the titles listed on The Soul of Jazz Percussion are on a Collectables album titled The Third World.

Incidentally, I have Ed Shaughnessy's score for "Wee Tina."

Edited by DIS

• 19 years later...