Do You Collect Anything ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stamps (primarily Danish, but also Sweden, Norway and Iceland. Mostly used stamps, various cancellations, varities, etc.)

U.S. Coins (modern Proof sets, plus common circulated earlier stuff. You know, sort of a kid's collection if the kid had been somehow collecting for a century...)

Books.

I'm not really the collector type in the classic sense. I don't care if a book is a first edition, but I like to have a lot of them on hand in case I'm snowed in for a few years, which is always a possibility up here. So I've got a thousand or so sitting out and a few hundered more in boxes. Science, urban studies, novels, philosophy/critical theory are well represented.

--eric

Brownian,

I like that Richard Day image. Reminds me a bit of an artist I like- Charles Sheeler.

I've been an off & on, part-time decorative arts dealer since the early 80's. My wife and I used to collect much of what we also sold (primarily "art deco", hawaiiana, and mid-century modern furnishings). We made many many great buys on all kinds of items, from furniture to clocks to radios to lamps to... you name it. One of our greatest finds was back in the 80's, early one summer morning at an outdoor antiques fair in Folsom, CA. We bought a very interesting table lamp (for $40), not really knowing what it was (but we knew it was good). It was actually lying (not standing) on the ground... I'll never forget the moment I saw it. A few months later, while out Christmas shopping, I was looking through a new coffee table book called "American Art Deco", and lo and behold, there's a full-page color photo of our lamp. Designed by Walter Von Nessen in 1935. Let's just say we can add a couple of zeros to our purchase price. :) It's also illustrated in "The Machine Age In America: 1918-1941". A few years ago somebody started making reproductions of it.

Here's the example in the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

1998.537.42.L.jpg

http://www.metmuseum.org/special/americanm...98.537.42.L.htm

Here's another nice buy we made- 1920's Paul Frankl-designed clock that we bought at a local flea market for $35 (sold it years later for $750):

tn4.JPG

We also had a couple of Sparton blue glass (mirrored) radios from the 30's that we sold when we started decorating in mid-century modern (I posted photos in a thread here about the "Sparton" record label that was affiliated with Impulse).

I don't really "collect" anything these days (the decorative arts thing has gotten very competetive, and the buys that used to be out there are fewer and farther between)... although I still have that addiction to Gibson jazz guitars... :rolleyes:

Would have to use the past tense here, "collected."

In the past, I have collected...

--books (still have them) approx. 2,500-3,000 hardback titles.

--old paper money (Indochina, Thailand, Vietnam) sold all

--Royal Doulton figurines (sold some; still have around 20)

--various childhood collections not worth mentioning here.

Right now I'm just trying to pay my bills then collect enough $ for retirement... B-)

Would have to use the past tense here, "collected."

Well, if we get into past tense, I once had a killer comic book collection. About 1500 DCs, ranging from 1936 to 1961. Superman ranging from 7 up, complete from 83 thru 149, complete runs of Congo Bill, New Adventures of Charlie Chan, near complete runs of Gangbusters, Mystery in Space, the early silver age Atoms, Green Lanterns, Flashs, etc. (never did score a Showcase 4 or 8, though...), shit..I could go on for a while.

And no, I do NOT want to see a current Overstreet Price Guide, thank you very much.

Edited by Jazzmoose

Stamps (primarily Danish, but also Sweden, Norway and Iceland. Mostly used stamps, various cancellations, varities, etc.)

U.S. Coins (modern Proof sets, plus common circulated earlier stuff. You know, sort of a kid's collection if the kid had been somehow collecting for a century...)

Millionaire! :P