Modern Rock - what do you like???

Just heard the latest from Camera Obscura, a Scottish band that's been around for awhile (sort of sponsored by Belle & Sebastian, evidently). It's called LET'S GET OUT OF THIS COUNTRY, and it's the first new cd I've heard in awhile that made me go, "Hmmm, who's that?" Kind of a mix of Mazzy Star, B & S, Felt, the Smiths (w/a strong dash of Lloyd Cole, a guy I used to love & hadn't thought about in years)--but somehow uniquely compelling.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been getting into these guys, Bohren & Der Club of Gore. Interesting band history. Don't know if they qualify. Weird stuff, dark, brooding ... somewhat unique. Other releases have been hits (Sunset Mission) and misses (Geisterfaust - currently they're apparently trying to slow their music down to a crawl), but if you need to lay off the downers, this music might help.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 2 months later...

Has anyone picked up or heard "Slow Music", a project with Robert Fripp, Peter Buck, and Bill Rieflin? I'm looking to get this disc, but it was only available during a tour they had earlier this year apparently. If anyone knows a source for this (cheaper than ebay - last one went for $57), I'm interested, thanks!

Slow Music Project

210650517_1cdd3c14b6_m.jpg

• 2 months later...

Has anyone picked up or heard "Slow Music", a project with Robert Fripp, Peter Buck, and Bill Rieflin? I'm looking to get this disc, but it was only available during a tour they had earlier this year apparently. If anyone knows a source for this (cheaper than ebay - last one went for $57), I'm interested, thanks!

Slow Music Project

210650517_1cdd3c14b6_m.jpg

Matt Chamberlain is on everything.

I picked up "Boys and Girls in America" by The Hold Steady on vinyl last week (nice package, quality platter). It's Indie Rock influenced by Springsteen ( a la vocals). So far I'm enjoying it. Also, picked up Beirut "Gulag Orkestra" which is Balkan rock pop from a New Mexican dude, lots of brass, piano, some guitar. The singer (who is essentially the band) has a Thom Yorke thing going on. I don't have it yet, but I've been hearing songs from The Broken West on-line. They have a record out on Merge that I'll pick up.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up the Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs box last week. A lot to digest, but some of it is pretty dang good.

This set is one of those things that I want to like, but just can't get into. A lot of people with whom I share taste in music love this, hopefully some day I will "get it".

Just picked up the Magnetic Fields' 69 Love Songs box last week. A lot to digest, but some of it is pretty dang good.

This set is one of those things that I want to like, but just can't get into. A lot of people with whom I share taste in music love this, hopefully some day I will "get it".

Understandable. Certainly Stephin Merritt's voice (the guy who sings most often) can be damn off-putting, and the whole project is quite irony-drenched. But I'm liking more of the songs with each listening, at least so far, so we'll see.

I picked up "Boys and Girls in America" by The Hold Steady on vinyl last week (nice package, quality platter). It's Indie Rock influenced by Springsteen ( a la vocals). So far I'm enjoying it.

An excellent album by an excellent band.

Aside from the Hold Steady, I've been spinning the following lately:

The Shins - "Wincing the Night Away"

The Decemberists - "The Crane Wife"

Cold War Kids - "Robbers and Cowards"

TV on the Radio - "Return to Cookie Mountain"

Also, just picked up the new release by The Arcade Fire called "Neon Bible". Haven't listened to it yet, but if its half as good as "Funeral", I'll be very happy.

I came across an instrumental group on emusic a few months back that has been sounding good lately... Brookhaven. Anyone familiar? Not bad ataw.

And a small plug... I am super excited about my brother's band's second release, due out late Spring. I'll be sure to bring it up here. I hope y'all will take a listen, maybe even buy a disc or two! ILAD 'National Flags' Recorded and mixed by John McEntire (Tortoise, The Sea and Cake) at SOMA December 19-23, 2006. It sounds fantastic!

I came across an instrumental group on emusic a few months back that has been sounding good lately... Brookhaven. Anyone familiar? Not bad ataw.

And a small plug... I am super excited about my brother's band's second release, due out late Spring. I'll be sure to bring it up here. I hope y'all will take a listen, maybe even buy a disc or two! ILAD 'National Flags' Recorded and mixed by John McEntire (Tortoise, The Sea and Cake) at SOMA December 19-23, 2006. It sounds fantastic!

I've got a Brookhaven lp from 2001 ~ Everything that rises must rise. I haven't spun it in a while, although I remember thinking it was a little to "consciously experimental" for my taste. I'm heading out of town, but will throw it on when I get back and see how it smacks me now.

I also got a compilation from the Oakland? based labeled entitled ~ sons of winded armies | an expel records compilation, I will check that one out again when I have access to my TT.

Here's the Brookhaven disc I have been checking here and there in the mix:

Brookhaven | Transitive Verses

Another band I recently discovered, and sort of latched onto because of the name is Seekonk. Anyone familiar with them? Seekonk was the name of the town just over the RI/MA border when we lived in Providence.

I've got a Brookhaven lp from 2001 ~ Everything that rises must rise. I haven't spun it in a while, although I remember thinking it was a little to "consciously experimental" for my taste. I'm heading out of town, but will throw it on when I get back and see how it smacks me now.

I also got a compilation from the Oakland? based labeled entitled ~ sons of winded armies | an expel records compilation, I will check that one out again when I have access to my TT.

Neon Bible is about 84% as good, by my estimation, which means it is FANTASTIC.

The new Wilco and Andrew Bird are also very nice, although not yet released. Turning out to be a good year for music, and its barely March.

Yeah, the new Fountains of Wayne isn't even out yet.

eh... I listened to the entire album this morning and was a little less than impressed. The tunes are good on a random mix (Squeezebox, ipod, whatever), but the album as a whole sounds goofy.

• 2 weeks later...

This new Panda Bear album PEOPLE PITCH is fantastic. Unlike the Animal Collective sound, almost entirely. Big, far off reverb on the vocals along with melody much closer to PET SOUNDS. Lots of field recording samples and some interesting production. I would recommend this to most people. There is a 'weirdness' in this music, but I like 'weirdness' just as much as the next guy, so...

edit: album title is actually PEOPLE PITCH, not perfect pitch.

Edited by .:.impossible