Which is the best Dizzy Reece album?

ASNL77

Hi everybody.I haven't got anything by Dizzy Reece in my Blue Note collection and I don't really know where to start.Does any of you own Blues in Trinity? If yes what do you think of it and what do you think of his other sessions? Thanks for your help!!! ;)

This one is probably the best bet to start with. Blues in Trinity is a solid hardbop date with Tubby Hayes in typical fine form. Soundin' Off, in my opinion, is the one to have, however. Others will tout the OJC as well. It's a fine session.

Thanks for the link.I have just been listening to 'once in a while'.It sounds pretty good.I will certainly go for the Mosaic collection if it is still ......... available.thanks again

Edited by ASNL77

Yes, should be available and yes, you should get it. The Selects are really quite a bargain when one is dealing with a musician of Reece's caliber.

If you were ever going to go for just one Reece Blue Note though, my strong bias would be for COMIN' ON - out as a Connoisseur edition and unissued at the time of recording, but NOT for any quality concerns let me tell you. I really love all his Blue Notes but that one is a tour de force, with remarkable compositions and contributions by the supporting cast as well as the usual Reece trumpet mastery.

Get the Select, without a doubt. Every one of the four albums (five sessions) is great!!!

As others have said, COMIN' ON is the best of the bunch (IMHO). Amazingly it sat in the vaults until the late 1990's, never having been released before then. I'm still shocked!! :blink::blink::blink:

How does a date (two dates, actually) -- as great as COMIN' ON -- stay locked up for that long??? :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Thanks to all of you for your precious help.I have just ordered the Mosaic set.The three tunes I listened on the Mosaic records link were very convincing.As it 'only' costs $39 it won't count as a Christmas treat and I have got some money left to spend on my Xmas present.Thanks again!!!!!!

Edited by ASNL77

I love turning people on to unjustly obscure jazz...my wife's stepdad was up last weekend and I played COMIN' ON for him and he flipped, especially over the killer version of "Tenderly." He's a big jazz trumpet fan and I just knew he'd love Reece. Now he's lookin' for it - and here I had already got it for him for Christmas and was just checking to make sure he'd like it (didn't tell him that of course)! Hope he doesn't find it, probably pretty safe as he's not an on-line shopper and it's long out of the stores around here.