Favorite comedian in a dramatic role

Chrome

Inspired by discussion of Jim Carrey's acting in the Movie thread ... plenty of comedians take dramatic roles to prove their acting chops ... anyone have any favorites?

Mine probably goes back a ways ... Anyone ever see "Blue Collar" with Richard Pryor? Kind of an auto-workers-against-corporate-management type crime movie, and Pryor was brilliant ... channeling the anger that made his standup routines so funny/true back in the day.

Inspired by discussion of Jim Carrey's acting in the Movie thread ... plenty of comedians take dramatic roles to prove their acting chops ... anyone have any favorites?

Mine probably goes back a ways ... Anyone ever see "Blue Collar" with Richard Pryor? Kind of an auto-workers-against-corporate-management type crime movie, and Pryor was brilliant ... channeling the anger that made his standup routines so funny/true back in the day.

Capt. Beefheart song in the soundtrack!

Jerry Lewis in King of Comedy, that's another good one.

Yep!

Not a movie, but did you see him on Wiseguy TV show years ago??? :tup

Yep. :tup indeed!

Would Steve Martin in Pennies From Heaven count? Not exactly a "dramatic" role, but definitely a finely-tuned, conceptual non-comedic one.

How was Steve Martin in Novacaine? I caught about 5 minutes before I had to leave, and I'm wondering if it is worth renting.

Bill Murray in Lost in Translation was great, though it did seem a bit like cheating, since he was sort of playing his off-screen self. Some people have suggested the movie plays a lot better on the big screen (where I saw it) than on tv. Any comments? I've yet to watch it all again on DVD.

I might have to agree with this one.

B00003ETHD.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Some of the other choices are strong as well.

Kevin Pollack in Usual Suspects (and a couple of other roles--Avalon comes to mind).

Richard Belzer in the TV series Homicide: Life on the Street

Does Michael Keaton count? He started out as a comic. I'm thinking about the one where he was an alocholic. Clean and Sober.

Godfrey Cambridge in Watermelon Man.

Edited by RainyDay

Usual Suspects is a great movie (better if minus Baldwin) and Avalon has always been one of my favorites.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about Stephen Baldwin you didn't like?

Was it his character in the movie or the guy as an actor? I'm not sure what it is about the Baldwin family that you stateside guys don't like but I remember that bit on the South Park movie where their houses got bombed by the Canadians. Not sure if this was intended as an irreverent aside though.